Author Topic: Saying Something Nice About the Sheepshank  (Read 20091 times)

knot4u

Re: Saying Something Nice About the Sheepshank
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 06:00:55 PM »
How about this bizarre use

http://books.google.com/books?id=zt8DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA1032&dq=popular+mechanics+knots&hl=cy&ei=vLJiTLffNcz94Aaq77GECg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=twopage&q&f=false

While the pics are disturbing, I don't know of another knot than the Sheepshank to solve the problem described in the article.  The requirements were to put a load on the rope and then, later, untie the knot without having access to the knot.  (The article describes the problem better.)  If it were me, I would remain stranded on the mountain.  :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:03:29 PM by knot4u »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 07:25:31 PM »

http://books.google.com/books?id=zt8DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA1032&dq=popular+mechanics+knots&hl=cy&ei=vLJiTLffNcz94Aaq77GECg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=twopage&q&f=false

While the pics are disturbing, I don't know of another knot than the Sheepshank to solve the problem described in the article.  The requirements were to put a load on the rope and then, later, untie the knot without having access to the knot.  (The article describes the problem better.)  If it were me, I would remain stranded on the mountain.  :D
Did you read my previous post?
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

knot4u

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 07:51:53 PM »

Did you read my previous post?

Yes, and I don't understand how the knots you posted would solve the problem described in the article.  Maybe you can explain (either here or on your site) how the knots you posted would solve the problem described in the article.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 09:40:57 PM »
Yes, and I don't understand how the knots you posted would solve the problem described in the article.  Maybe you can explain (either here or on your site) how the knots you posted would solve the problem described in the article.
For example, an uncompleted bowline tied around anchor point could hold weight, but as it is very unstable, it could be shaken free easily.  There would be no rope left left behind, either.

The Bell Ringer's Knot is almost the same as an uncompleted bowline.  The rabbit never goes back into the hole.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 10:10:46 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

knot4u

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 03:48:28 AM »
Yes, and I don't understand how the knots you posted would solve the problem described in the article.  Maybe you can explain (either here or on your site) how the knots you posted would solve the problem described in the article.
For example, an uncompleted bowline tied around anchor point could hold weight, but as it is very unstable, it could be shaken free easily.  There would be no rope left left behind, either.

The Bell Ringer's Knot is almost the same as an uncompleted bowline.  The rabbit never goes back into the hole.

OK, I get it.  Your link to the Span Loop was confusing because there's a pic there of a knot that doesn't come loose if you shake it.

Note that none of these knots should be used for descending a mountain, unless the person is super desperate.

The person would probably have a better chance of survival if they just remained stranded.  These knots are that unstable.  I just simulated the problem with the Sheepshank, the unfinished Bowline and the Bell Ringer.  If there is a pause in tension or if there is moderate shaking, then the whole thing tends to become untied rather easily.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:26:28 AM by knot4u »

anything