Author Topic: Fancywork supplies: recommendations?  (Read 71463 times)

redburn

Re: Fancywork supplies: recommendations?
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2009, 08:46:43 PM »
Hi all, as I wrote in another post, I am the newbie from Naples, Italy interested in fancy work.

It is one month that I am viewing and reviewing the tutorials in the website of frayedknotarts: great site and great works too. My best compliments, frayedknotarts.

I would have a question about the cord needed for a lanyard.
I already experimented that common cord unravels in a moment, while using syntethic cord, like the one used in the rigging of small sailing boats the knots, leads to slip.
I also read that it should be used Belfast cord, if only anyone were already making it.

In this 3d I read about Marty Combs stuff: provided that shipping and handling price were not too high, would You please suggest what is (are?) the right type to buy for a lanyard?
Or do You have any other suggestion?

Did't even tried to find anything in Italy ...

Thanks a lot for whatever info.

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2009, 09:31:37 PM »
I'm no expert as I'm doing a lot of learning myself but I think lanyards are made of a lot of different kinds of cord. The cotton ones like Vince uses would be any Navy personel's dream come true. Here's a link to one made with what looks like RAYON blind cord: http://www.rwrope.com  R&W Rope (Bob Dollar). Bud did say it's 1mm in size.

http://khww.net/articles.php?article_id=71

Check out the other tutorials on KHWW for other braids.

If you want to try one in colors, Post# 37 on a previous page of this thread has a link to KJK Cords in the UK which, although I havn't tried it, I have heard several members say it's good for tying decorative knots. At least they're on your side of the pond. LOL
http://www.cordsandropes.com/index.html
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 09:34:11 PM by skyout »

capt larry

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2009, 01:48:59 PM »
Redburn,

Many people use paracord for lanyards.  Check out Stormdrane's blog, he has many items including lanyards made of paracord.    http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/  One source of this is Supply Captain www.supply captain.com.  They have several colors.  Mentioned recently, I believe at KHWW was Barre Army Navy as a source.

I am a fan of Marty Combs cotton cords.  I expect you would want his #45 or #21.

Also, for nylon cord, there are fans of cross lace cord used fro stringing Lacrosse sticks - an American sport originated from a Native American game.  Try www.jimalax.com

Happy knotting,

CL

redburn

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2009, 05:55:55 PM »
Thanks a lot for the hints, Capt Larry.
I just sent an email to Martin, awating his reply.
In the mean time just going to make exercises on crown- and wall-ing.
Thanks again.

SlipJig

• A Happy IGKT Member!
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2009, 05:12:01 AM »
OK folks, another question that, unless I have missed it, doesn't seem to be covered in the links already provided.

Anybody know any suppliers of VB cord (or diamond braid utility cord, if you will) in terylene or nylon (not polyprop) in a good colour range?

Point of question: I can easily buy it locally in bulk in black, white, red, yellow, green and blue, but it's sold here as light lashing for boaties and as long as each colour is distinguishable from each other colour, no one cares about the actual shade. The suppliers keep one shade only of each and there's no match at all between one reel and the next.

I'm particularly interest in blue shades. The blue here is almost bright turquoise and I'd love to be able to get a light shade of navy for red, white and blue combinations, and a dull mid-blue.  (Actually, the shade of blue in the IGKT cloth badge would be perfect!)

Olive and dark greens would be good too, come to think of it. I can get olive drab hootchie cord here, but being able to get darker greens in up to 3 mm would be great.

Any thoughts?

Knotical

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2009, 05:58:35 AM »
Slip Jig, sounds like you're looking for jimalax cross lace cord or http://www.gpjrope.com/blind.htm
Regards,
Knotical

SlipJig

• A Happy IGKT Member!
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2009, 08:05:59 AM »
Thanks, Knotical.

I've looked at Jimalax before but I can't get a good enough look at the stuff to see whether it is exactly what I need. If it's soft and floppy without a core, as I suspect netting cord might be, it won't work up in the same way as VB cord. Any words of wisdom from those who use it?

The gpjrope site looks great for colour range, but it doesn't tell me what the blind cord is made of. My stuff needs to be able to take sun exposure, so polyprop is no good and unfortunately the wider colour ranges often seem to be polyprop. I'm sure if I write to them and ask, they will tell me, though. I hadn't seen that site before, so thanks! Blue Ridge is about the colour I'm after.

I'll report back with any further info.

EDIT: I just notice they sell it in 3,000 ft spools.  :o Might be a little bit much for little ole me!!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 08:45:55 AM by SlipJig »

capt larry

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2009, 02:21:35 PM »
Slipjig,

The cross lace cord for lacrosse sticks is not soft, it compares to the venetian blind cord but is of larger diameter than the blind cord I have.  It also comes in the bolder colors you are looking for rather than the earthy muted tones of the blind cord.  It comes in spools of 300'.  As to construction, it is a braid cover - I believe polyester but it may be nylon.  The core is 5 strands of nylon or polyester.  In addition to Jimalax noted above, another source is www.comlax.com , which seems to be less expensive.  The last spools I got from them are labled "jimalax cord", so it is apparently the same stuff.  One thing I've seen at KHWW is that ComLax does not have a bright green that Jimalax does.

For more info check http://www.khww.net/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=661&pid=5966#post_5966 where there is a discussion of these cords and some pics of items done with it.

Cl

Knotical

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2009, 06:29:40 PM »
Slip Jig, I'm always tripped up by jargon terms like "Venetian Blind Cord" because they so often get applied to a variety of things.  I've bought (3.6mm) "Braided Synthetic Venetian Blind Cord" from TrueValue store in 48 ft. hanks.  It is a firm cord with a core and I really like how it feels and works.  The last time I bought it, it was 7.9? per foot.  Strangely, buying it by the foot from a spool at TrueValue is much more expensive.

Is what I've just described the same cord you are using?  Because the diamond braid cord I have found and used is very different than the VB cord I got from TrueValue.
Regards,
Knotical

mysticknotwork

• Trusted New Poster
    • MysticKnotWork
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2009, 03:05:22 PM »
Guys, I just got a Request for Proposal on 2,000 monkey fists done in yellow/blue diamond braid nylon.  I was wondering if you guys have good sourcing on what looks like 3.5 mm(?).  Ideally dyed before it is braided for colorfastness...

Thanks in advance!
Matt
been knotworking since before I could ride a bike, but still can't get it right.

Matt @
www.mysticknotwork.com

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »
Matt, I would personally contact Mr. Dollar at R&W Rope Warehouse in New Bedford to give him the opportunity to quote you something.

Scott

roundturn

• knotstuff
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2010, 12:22:32 AM »
I'm working with a mill to make some good 5/32 and 3/16 hard lay 3
strand cotton.
We have the recipie for the cord worked out and it's a really good
looking cord.
But the mill only has the ability to spool it on either 4500 ft or
2250 ft spools which is a pretty good size spool.
I was wondering if knot tyers that are interested in this size cord
could let me know if they would be interested in spools of this size
because you would have to purchase a lot of cord at one time but the
other side of the coin is that due to purchasing in large amounts you
would get a better price.  Let me know if any of you are interested
and I'll see what I can do to get some of this out on the market.

Marty
roundt...@hotmail.com
www.knotstuff.com

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2010, 11:19:31 AM »
I would be interested (in 3/16") but the carriage cost to the UK may be prohibitive unless a number of UK knotters are interested and we can to some arrangement for distribution over here of several spools. Whatever it cost there would be 17.5% VAT on top of the price of the cord + delivery.

Barry

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2010, 07:48:51 PM »
I would be interested in a spool of 3/16".  What is the price, and weight of a spool?  Also size of a spool, my rope chest is full (overflowing).  If I brought home more line, my wife might make me seek counseling.  (If she does ask me to get counseling, I'll ask you guys - 'Do I have too much rope?').

Pat Ducey

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2010, 09:24:22 AM »
We can never have too much rope but unfortunately wives tend to view anything beyond 3 metres of string as excessive "you won't live long enough to use all of that" I can hear (though the same logic never seems to apply to handbags and shoes for some reason). Let us know if you find a good counselor!

Barry