Author Topic: Re:Eternity stopper continued  (Read 2925 times)

xarax

Re:Eternity stopper continued
« on: March 02, 2014, 03:07:59 AM »
the Eternity knot, a pretty little decorative that Xarax is putting forward as a stopper.

This xarax is not "putting forward" the Eternity knot as a stopper. He sees the "decorative" Eternity knot as a stopper ( while other people see it otherwise ), because of the many sharp U-turns it has, in a small overall volume - "similar", regarding this matter, to the Whaler s stopper he is putting forward:)
  ( To me, every knot tied on one line, loaded by the one end against a surface or against another knot that this line penetrates, or simply from both ends, is a "stopper", or knob knot - some are better than the rest, but all can stop the slippage of the line that runs through them. If they can replace the overhand knots in the Fisherman s knot, they are stoppers. )   
This is not a knot.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 12:13:28 PM »
Sorry to be pedantic about splitting this this camel hair Xarax, but if you title a post "Eternity knot - a nice small stopper", then to me, you are indeed putting the Eternity knot forward as a stopper.

Indeed, yes, it can function as a stopper as can any other knot.  But there are good stoppers and poor ones.  My opinion of it is that it is the latter.

Derek
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:20:14 PM by SS369 »

xarax

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »
if you title a post "Eternity knot - a nice small stopper", then to me, you are indeed putting the Eternity knot forward as a stopper.

That is because, obviously, you had not yet followed my previous posts, from Dan Lehman s hooked and blooded Fisherman s knot, and afterwards...So, you judge my title "out of context", as you would had said... :). When you will do it, you will change your opinion,, and you will see, at last, what I meant.

I came to see the Eternity knot as a stopper, while most people used to see it as just another "decorative" knot, because of the Whalers and the Double Torus stoppers, which have same similar characteristics, the many sharp U-turns of the Standing Part. To my mind, the suggestion to examine this knot as a stopper, and see what happens, is quite different of  what you think I did : "put forward" the Eternity knot as a stopper. The first is just a suggestion to examine something, the second is almost an exhortation to use something - quite different things, to my mind. Of course, my knowledge of the English language is rudimental, but my knowledge of my language is, fortunately, not so poor- and I see the difference in the corresponding words... You will find many dozens of knots that I have tied and presented in this Forum, and you will see that I had "put forward", as you claim, just a handful of them : The Locked Cow hitch, the TackleClamp hitch ( on which you, too, had commented favourably ), the pet loop, the Constrictor hitch ( which I like to call "Buntline extinguisher"... :)), and recently the Bull / Clove hitch.
   You can count the sharp, one-diameter U-turns of the Eternity knot, those inner and outer collars, and see how many they are, in such a simple knot, with such a small volume. So, I had suggested that we should explore this knot, and many other "decorative" knots, as stoppers, because that may be interesting.
   Now you have tied and tried this knot, and found that it is not such a good stopper. Good ! One knot less ! However, I am sorry to say that your report is wanting, in my view. What I would have liked to see, and which I can not do by myself, is not another "theoretical" "explanation" of why something works or does not work - I have filled many pages with such things, probably totally worthless, and surely unread by anybody. What I would had liked , goes somewhat like this :

Hmmm, interesting idea, xarax : to see this decorative knot as a potential stopper. I have tied the traditional / classic, Strangle knot ( double overhand knot ), and the Eternity knot at the ends of a 6mm Dyneema line, and passed their root lines through a 6mm hole of a plate. Then I have loaded them, until the Standing Ends slipped through the knots. The Strangle stopper slipped at x tons, and the Eternity stopper slipped at y knots. Here are the close-up pictures of them, just before the moment they start slipping.
   I conclude that the Eternity ( two interlinked slipped knots ) is not a good stopper, while the Strangle ( double overhand knot ) is. Now, if you want to read a "theoretical" "explanation" of this difference in efficiency, read the following pages, which may be boring to some, but I believe they reveal some interesting aspects of the mechanisms of the two knots, loaded as stoppers.

You got the picture.  :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:20:28 PM by SS369 »
This is not a knot.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 09:10:20 PM »
Hi Xarax,

I am sorry that I failed to analyse and test the knot in the way you would have wished, and that I failed to report back in the manner you required.  Instead, I analysed it the way I find interesting and reported my thoughts so that others, if they were interested in the things that interest me, could share my thoughts and perhaps share their thoughts with me.

I do not do Decoratives, so I do not comment on them, and I do not have the incentive to do destructive physical testing.  What 'floats my boat' at the moment is attempting to identify active components within a knot, attempt to determine their functionality, and from this, attempt to establish an understanding of how and why knots morph and perform the way that they do when loaded.

If you require more of me than this, or you require me to structure my examinations to suit your agenda, then I am sorry but you will just have to put up with what I do, or if you prefer, simply ignore my posts.

PS Do you have an anecdotal moment of knot tying madness from today that you would like to share with the forum readers?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:20:39 PM by SS369 »

xarax

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 11:35:50 PM »
I do not comment on them, and I do not have the incentive to do destructive physical testing.

Of course, if you can see it only as a decorative knot, and you keep it in the box of your mind with the label "decorative = danger", you do not have any incentive to see it as a stopper. And your analyses can not be but biased - you start from a wrong categorization, and you struggle to prove that it should be contained in it, and only in it.
   The proof of this is that you did nt spell ONE word about the ONLY thing I noticed in this "bad" stopper, and which we do not see often : the many sharp U-turns. Somehow, you managed to remain silent about the ONLY thing that made me show this knot, the ONLY thing that places it in the context of the sequence of posts referring to similar stoppers., the ONLY thing I repeated almost a dozen times ! You said that that the Whalers stopper is similar to the Strangle, while, to my eyes, it differs as the day and the night !
   Noope, my opinion is that you had not understood why I posted this knot ( even after I had tried to clarify it repeatedly, so many times...), neither had you understood its general pattern - which is completely different from the other simple stoppers we already know, and it is much more similar to the Whalers and the Double Torus stoppers. You had analysed it too locally, I might say, and you missed its global form, although I had pointed it out to you many times.
   It happens - when we do not like something, because, in our minds, it belongs to a "bad" category, we can not see it objectively... It happens to me all the time. Anything somebody says about it, just offers you more "proofs" that you were right from the first instance...OK.

Destructive testing is the only thing we can do in Dyneema, because, as allene and estar reported (1)_, the knots tied on Dyneema slip at about the same percentage of MBS of the line in which they break.
  You do not have the insensitive, or you do not want, or you do not like, or you simply can not do "destructive testing" - which is required in this case. I do have the insensitive, and I do want, and I do like, but simply I , too, can not do this test - or, for that matter, any other tests... :) - which places us in the same camp !  :) Welcome ! We can analyse this knot the next x years - but, by any imaginative way you kick a dead horse, it will not stand up on its feet and start running  !  :) We just do NOT know if this, supposedly, "bad" stopper, slips more or less easily than any other stopper - just because we have not tested it - period.

1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4756

is attempting to identify active components within a knot, attempt to determine their functionality, and from this, attempt to establish an understanding of how and why knots morph and perform the way that they do when loaded.

I do like this attempt, and I try to do something like this all the time - but nobody gives a dam about it, and probably for good reason !
  The proof of the pudding is on the eating ! When you want to prove something on practical knots - like your claim that the Eternity knot makes a "bad" stopper - you have to prove it by tests, not by analyses, however sophisticated they are. Practical knots are practical knots, they are not mathematical theorems, they just make or break - we can like them or knot, but if they do not slip or break as easily as other relatively as simple as them knots do, then analyses do not have any point.
   Let me offer an example : I detest the Timber hitch, I consider it as one of the most dumb knots I have ever seen ! However, it works, and it works very well - and it is not ugly either. I will not start analysing it to prove my opinion - de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.

If you require more of me than this, or you require me to structure my examinations to suit your agenda, then I am sorry but you will just have to put up with what I do, or if you prefer, simply ignore my posts.

That reminds me a comment about someone else, who was "craving" for recognition !  :) Please, be advised that I will read every word you write, very carefully, regardless what you do with what I write.  :) I do not have an "agenta" to "suit", or a "purpose: to "serve", I am not "Chosen" KnotTyer, send from high above to defend something of the KnotLand here on Earth ! Knots exist by themselves, they do not need promotion or advertising ! I play with knots, I regard their properties like the properties of the triangles of Euclidean geometry, for example. An I do not "require" anything ! Where on earth do you find those "proper" words ? "Require you to " ! To " to suit your agenta" ! Who am I to require something from you or from anybody else ? If you believe that I am such an idiot, you would be delighted if I ignore your posts, indeed !

Do you have an anecdotal moment of knot tying madness from today that you would like to share with the forum readers?

In fact I do, but I can not tell it right now - I have first to finish the presentation of it, which "requires" me to learn how to compose .pdf files with many pictures.
  As hint, I will tell you only this : I had tied 49 stoppers, most of them ( exept 6 ) I had never tied again ! Does this tells you anything ? If you discover what had I tied, I will stop talking about the Eternity knot, till eternity itself finishes !  :) 

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:20:50 PM by SS369 »
This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 01:53:27 AM »
   Derek, we have been quarrelling about this Eternity knot for almost an eternity now !  :) I admit I have been exhausted typing pages of mostly redundant words about a simple knot I have seen accidentally in the net, the post of which was, in the first place, meant to be only a comment, in passing, on the Whalers and the Double Torus stoppers ! Please, reply to the posts describing those stoppers - which I "put forward", as stoppers and/or as "halves" of a sliding / inter-penetrating bend, a-la-Fisherman s knot, indeed !  :) Better still, before you do that, see the stoppers / "halves" of Fisherman s knot-like bends at (1), at (2) and (3). The Whalers and the Double Torus stoppers (4),(5), were devised following the same line of thought described there.
   We are trying to figure out some as simple as possible bends, for the monster Dyneema material here - because of the failure of the triple Fisherman s knot, reported by allene and estar.

1.  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4764.0
2.  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4771.0
3.  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4792.0
4.  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4802.0
5.  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4805.0
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:21:15 PM by SS369 »
This is not a knot.

anything