Author Topic: Post your work  (Read 221986 times)

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Post your work
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2011, 04:50:05 AM »
Hi Curt. Yes it does look a tad deflated. I was betting the cores were missing. ;-)

Hi CSchffr, You're off to a good start it looks like. So many knots to tie!

Brian, that is going to make some friend very happy. The two colors of roo lace really compliment each other. It snugged up so tight and neat.

SS

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2011, 09:20:15 AM »
I'm going to have to stop looking at this thread I'm afraid - I'm getting an inferiority complex! Beautiful work people.

Barry

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2011, 04:40:59 PM »
Hello Barry.

Please, oh please don't stop looking !

Jump right in and share your work. We all have something we can inspire others with.

From my own perspective it gets the "old want to tie something" juices flowing.  ;-)

It raises the question: What should I tie?

Good question for us > What inspired your last project?

SS

aknotter

• Exp. Member
  • Member IGKT-PAB since 2000
    • Pacific Americas Branch of the IGKT
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »
Hey CSchffr , you do nice work - keep it up!

And Brian - That PK in Kangaroo is beautiful.   
Jimmy R Williams - IGKTPAB Secretary/Treasurer
Site: IGKTPAB.ORG Email: IGKTPAB@GMAIL.COM
Event Pix: PICASAWEB.GOOGLE.COM/IGKTPAB

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
  • A knot is not just a knot...
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2011, 06:35:56 PM »
Hey CSchffr , you do nice work - keep it up!

And Brian - That PK in Kangaroo is beautiful.   

Thanks Jimmy & Scott.

B...
Regards,
Brian Kidd

dewildeman

« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2011, 10:49:50 AM »
Here's a mat I made out of the left over retired climbing rope from the other mat I posted.  I knew I wouldn't have enough to make 3 passes so I decided to keep the same size and leave the weave open with only 2 passes.

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2011, 03:16:34 PM »
I like the open weave look. Still if you find more rope of a complimentary color you could weave it in. Might look pretty good with blue stripes.
How are you using it?

SS

dewildeman

« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2011, 05:54:35 AM »
I may give it to a friend to for her to put potted plants on or my daughter in law has dropped a hint that she likes it.  Maybe a door mat.  It's a bit to big and clunky for a table pad.

wooly whiskers

« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2011, 09:10:43 PM »
Made this bracelet with 6 strands of 1.4mm cord , used a 5x4 THK for the loop , and a 8 point star knot for the end..

Curt
Wooly Whiskers

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2011, 09:43:09 PM »
That's great looking Curt!
Now I am going to have to make one. ;-)
That's the way it goes sometimes.

SS

CreditonJules

• My Folksy shop
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
I guess most of my "knotting time" is taken up tying survival bracelets. 

They are not as well known here in the UK as they are in the US so I did a good bit of trade leading up to Christmas!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with survival bracelets they are made from approx. 6m/20ft or 2x 3m/10ft(for 2 colours) of a continuous length of paracord using the King Cobra stitch.  They are designed to be unpicked so should you be in a situation where you need a decent length of cord i.e. boot lace brakes or tent guy rope snaps you have it to hand.  Built into the orange buckle is a small but shrill whistle.  When I was showing (probably boring) my friends with my bracelets one of them said to me that it would be a good idea, if it were a proper survival bracelet, to put some sort of torch(flash light) on it as well - so that is what I did!

Does anyone here make horse fly fringes?  It's my latest project which I plan to start tomorrow - I just wondered if anyone else if anyone else had tried making one from scratch?

CreditonJules

Be Knot Afrayed!

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2011, 12:02:26 AM »
I've never made one, but I am eager to see what you construct.
Nice looking bracelets! The whistle/buckle/light helps survival. I hope!

SS

KenY

• Exp. Member
  • IGKT member since 1982- IGKT Past President
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2011, 11:31:32 AM »
CreditonJules,

Thank you, you have got me hook, line and sinker with your Survival Bracelets. I shall set them as a project for the Solent Branch  this comming Tuesday. Just a couple of questions.

What is your source of the whistle buckles ( I am very impressed with those, it must be a boys with toys thing ) and as we have some very good knot tyers, who have never even sat at a PC, the 'find it on line' option, is not part of the dialogue. Can you tell me also please the source for the lights.

Yours Aye

Ken.

CreditonJules

• My Folksy shop
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2011, 02:26:38 PM »
CreditonJules,

Thank you, you have got me hook, line and sinker with your Survival Bracelets. I shall set them as a project for the Solent Branch  this comming Tuesday. Just a couple of questions.

What is your source of the whistle buckles ( I am very impressed with those, it must be a boys with toys thing ) and as we have some very good knot tyers, who have never even sat at a PC, the 'find it on line' option, is not part of the dialogue. Can you tell me also please the source for the lights.

Yours Aye

Ken.

Hi Ken

Thank you for your interest!

I actually came across these when I was doing some "Internet Assessor" freelance work.  I work full time as a legal secretary but when the recession hit bad a couple of years ago and I was under threat of having my hours reduced I set myself up as a freelance secretary/virtual assistant.  I picked up a job from a company, part of which was putting in an item in Google image search and seeing if the correct image came up.  The item was "survival bracelets".  Not knowing what these were - so not knowing in essence if the image matched the query - I dug a little deeper and found out some more information on them.  I haven't knotted for many years, not since I was a Girl Guide, but my first reaction was "Wow I love these - I bet I can make one"! 

My usual first port of call with anything is eBay.  I actually found a kit - and got totally hooked!  I actually use two suppliers for my paracord and buckles and both are as good as each other and always very helpful if I have queries.

http://www.fivestarcord.co.uk/index.php

Joe @ Five Star Paracord has fantastic tutorials on his website and is who I basically learned my craft from.  I think I may have adapted the style slightly to meet my way of working but I prefer having the ability to "unpick" it.

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/550-gsa-compliant-paracord-85-c.asp

Jim and Andy @ The Bushcraft Store are also very good.  They have a slightly different way of making their survival bracelets whereby they ends are melted and used as a seal to stop it unravelling.  I guess this is an easier method if you don't have any tools like forceps to tuck the ends in.

The paracord (parachute cord) which I mostly use is imported from the US.  The UK does have paracord, though it is a little different texture, only comes in one colour (military green) and is the one in the middle of the photo.  There are quite a number of people selling these on eBay.

The torches re a little more difficult to source.  The main person I get them from is Chris on eBay: -

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/gadget-shack-uk

Occasionally I can pick them up in bulk from Kathyrn who imports them from China -

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/rifrafkaf/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I've got some with white beams in black housing if you only wanted a few for a meeting to save you having to buy any.

The rest, as they say is history and I am very happy in my new hobby!

Let me know how you get on at your meeting!

Now off to see if I can make a horse fly fringe! LOL!!

CreditonJules
Be Knot Afrayed!

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter

Wed

« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2011, 02:52:39 PM »
Am I off the rocker here? I thought the "survival" part was being able to untie the bracelet to get one long string for essential tasks. The clasps and dual colours wouldn't facilitate that very well. I am perfectly happy to be wrong though.

anything