Author Topic: Analysis of Bowlines paper uploaded for review and comment (PACI website)  (Read 198329 times)

Akano

Re: Analysis of Bowlines paper uploaded for review and comment (PACI website)
« Reply #495 on: August 04, 2019, 10:24:03 PM »
Hi, Mark,

I've greatly enjoyed reading your analysis, which was one of the sources that got me into knotting in the first place! I wanted to ask about Harry Butler's Yosemite Bowline. I've come across several images/instructions on how to tie the Edwards Bowline, and depending on the site it's the same (e.g., here and here) or the same apart from initially tying a Cowboy Bowline (e.g. here) as Harry Butler's. I haven't been able to find an "official" way to tie the Edwards Bowline, so I have no idea if the links I've provided are the standard way to tie it, but I figured I'd bring it up to see if there was a potential independent discovery occurring.

~A

agent_smith

Re: Analysis of Bowlines paper uploaded for review and comment (PACI website)
« Reply #496 on: August 05, 2019, 01:02:14 AM »
Hello Akano,

I have responded in 'New knot investigations'.
Please direct your enquiries there.

darkergreen

Thanks for this very interesting paper.

I was wondering about the five bowlines on the last page; all five are identified as suitable tie-in knots, but 'Scott's locked' also as the end point of an anchor - what are the properties that make 'Scott's locked' particularly suited to that use, in a way the others might not be?

agent_smith

Hello darkergreen,
There are no unique properties that make 'Scotts locked Bowline' any better (or worse) as an end-of-line fixed eye knot.
I need to revise the content/text in the Bowlines analysis document to reflect this fact.

However, an argument could be advanced that 'Scotts locked Bowline' is the simplest structure to tie and learn.
There are in fact 4 different variations of 'Scotts locked Bowline' (within a particular chirality - eg, Z).
So there are 4 different versions with Z chirality.
And there are 4 different versions with S chirality.