Author Topic: Charlie Smith  (Read 3878 times)

ambiensse

Charlie Smith
« on: April 21, 2008, 10:03:56 AM »
I met Charlie a few years ago and wondered if anyone can let me know how he is or how to contact him. I know he came from Essex and has an amazing wealth of knowledge when it comes to knots.
I met him on board the tall ship The Grand Turk giving demonstrations in rope making and showing us how to make knots with one hand among other things.
Any word of him will be welcome.
Rick

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
Re: Charlie Smith
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 09:59:07 PM »
Charlie is still alive, still living in the same town as he used to, but he is old now.

A friend who visited him regularly said he only remembered her the last time because she is looking rather different from average.
Some days his memory is clear, but he is getting in such a state that I personally am afraid to phone him anymore, (which I used to do several times a year,) as he might just not make the link to me personally anymore.
But if you want to visit him, I think I can get people to arrange that, he always liked to meet friends and I got the impression that that is still the same.
You can e-mail me by clicking on the mail link next to my name, I will activate it till you have done so.

Willeke.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 06:21:33 PM by Willeke »
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

Andre van der Salm

• Exp. Member
  • I am knot crazy
    • Knots and Knot tying
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 07:48:51 PM »
What a coincidense ! I too met a knot tyer aboard the Grand Turk when I was in Whitby on summercamp with my scouts troop. The man was tying knots and demonstrating below deck. This could be the same person you are talking about, we even may have been at the same place at the same time without knowing??!!

kind regards
Andr? van der Salm

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:19:54 PM »
Charlie looks like father Christmas with summer holliday, although on the Grand Turk he would have been dressed in period clothing and fitting hairstyle.
Funily enough I do not have any pictures in which I can recognize him, after having met him many times.

Andr?, I guess you have met him in Den Helder in 2005 too. He was at the meeting there, but did not stay for long and was involved with the children more than with us adults.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

ambiensse

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 12:25:24 PM »
Sorry to be slow in responding Andre but I haven't been able to get back here for a while.
I met Charlie on the Turk while it was in Ramsgate Harbour. I did a few evenings on watch while the crew went ashore for a few bevvies in return for a one way trip to Oostend.
Charlie came down for just one day and showed the crew and public rope making. The trick knots he showed the crew later had me hooked on tying and although I don't practise enough I try and learn a new knot every now and then.
Thanks for the response though.

Rick
What a coincidense ! I too met a knot tyer aboard the Grand Turk when I was in Whitby on summercamp with my scouts troop. The man was tying knots and demonstrating below deck. This could be the same person you are talking about, we even may have been at the same place at the same time without knowing??!!

kind regards
Andr? van der Salm

anything