Author Topic: Cufflinks  (Read 27153 times)

SlipJig

• A Happy IGKT Member!
Cufflinks
« on: December 02, 2008, 02:49:25 AM »
Howdy all, long time no see.  ;D

So Christmas be nearly upon us and I'm making a copy of my ID lanyard in 2mm spectra-lookalike stuff (to get a particular colour) as a gift for a sartorially-elegant colleague who has often admired mine. It occured to me this morning that he needs a matching set of cufflinks. (He often wears the coloured silk knot ones.)

Anyone here made their own cufflinks before? Pictures? Did they hold up to wear and tear? What knots did you use?

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
Re: Cufflinks
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 07:30:07 AM »
There's a pair here from S. Grainger's book, Creative Ropecraft, on pages 119 & 120t:
http://books.google.com/books?id=QlDj7-OmTGAC&pg=PA96&dq=needle+hitching#PPA119,M1
Hope this helps.
I would love to see what you come up with. TIA
skyout

Frayed Knot Arts

• Knot too smart at times....
    • Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 10:29:24 PM »
Using starknots on a cufflink base.

Ten-point under a five-point.   The five-point covers the part where the ten-point 'grips' the cufflink plate.

Haven't made any for a few years.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 08:59:05 PM by frayedknotarts »

SlipJig

• A Happy IGKT Member!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 01:57:41 AM »
Thanks skyout and Vince. Pretty sure I have the Grainger book at home, and I wouldn't have thought of using a metal cufflink and covering it.

I had thought of doing two tiny zip pulls with the top loops linked to form the shank, or trying to do a tiny monkey's fist-style knot in either end of one piece of cord.

So, Vince, do you do the ten-point, lose five strands and then do the five-point, or do you do them as two "decoupled" knots with the ten-point anchoring the five-point in place? Sorry if that's a silly question! :-\

I will post whatever I end up doing, with a picture of the lanyard as well.

All further suggestions welcome!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 01:58:56 AM by SlipJig »

Lasse_C

• The price of skill is neverending practice
    • Photo galleries (Text in Swedish)
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 10:26:17 AM »
Nice! Really nice!
What dimensions have you used? I have a few of these metal cufflink bases, and it looks like maximum 2 mm stuff.
Cufflinks have been on my "got to try & experiment" list for a long time, but you inspired me to move it over to the "make a prototype" list. When you think it over, there are a lot of possibilities on cufflinks... Strange you don?t see more knotted ones!

Lasse C

Frayed Knot Arts

• Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 11:41:15 PM »
Thanks!  The reason you don't see too many knotted cufflinks is that they take an INORDINATE amount of time and care to do properly, and you really can't use much larger (for the ones I show) than a 1.0 or 1.2 mm line, else the finished product, while impressive, could also be used as a small anchor!

Cufflink bases for this must have the flat disc shaped top usually used for gluing (glueing?) some piece of gimcrackery and the disc should be about 2.0mm in diameter. 

I'll do up a tutorial as soon as I can for it.

Slip:  The ten-point is done first, then you cross-loop five of the lines (obviously, every other line) to hold the disc in place and form the other five into the top star, leading the second passes of the five-point down thru the edge loops and thru the body of the ten-point, then doing all ten lines into the back tucks in an "over-two" rotation. 

MUCH easier to show than to say.

OK.  Next project for me.  Will post here when done.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:46:20 PM by frayedknotarts »

SlipJig

• A Happy IGKT Member!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 02:49:38 AM »
Thanks, Frayed! That makes sense.

That jolts a vague memory that I think I was supposed to write up a tute for you about a year ago ... starting 8-strand square neatly with photos supplied by Willeke and a friend?  :-\

(It has been a crazy year!)

Frayed Knot Arts

• Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 05:00:04 AM »
Yuppers!   Starting an eight strand neatly.   Can also be applied to starting a coachwhip neatly, I'm sure. 

Whenever.....

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 09:58:48 AM »
I have a couple of pairs of commercially made knot cufflinks bought in London (many shops sell them for up to about ?5 a pair). They consist of 2 terminal knots (I think triple wall and crown?) with 2 cords between them. The material is about 1 mm thick elasticated cord so that at a glance the 2 knots sit tight together but when fitted hold your cuff very well. The knots are about 1 cm across. If anyone is interested I'll try and take a photo.

Barry

SlipJig

• A Happy IGKT Member!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 12:52:56 PM »
If anyone is interested I'll try and take a photo.
Barry

Please!

They sound like the kind my elegant colleague normally wears, and I'm interested in any and all ideas that are out there.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 01:34:48 PM »
Here is an idea with a difference and very easy to make.

Use ca 3mm silk braid and tie a Chinese button knot with a loop of about 2".  Finish the ends either close to the button knot of leave them longer for effect.

In use, pass the loop through the shirt buttonholes to the outside of the cuff, then pass the button knot through the loop sticking out the outside of the shirt cuff, gently draw the loop slack back to the shirt cuff retaining the button knot against the cuff.

Easy to make, easy to use, very effective, and I bet you will not see the like anywhere else.

Derek

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 07:19:55 PM »
Cufflink piccies attached - side view and end on view. If I could find the right cord I like Derek's idea rather than try these in the photo!
Barry

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:22:36 PM by Sweeney »

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 04:06:40 PM »
Looking for something in Ashley I came across #980 which is probably how the knots in the photos I posted were made?? Derek's suggestion taken a step further.

Barry

SlipJig

• A Happy IGKT Member!
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 07:51:52 AM »
So how long do these little elastic jobbies hold up, Barry? Do they eventually chafe and unroll?

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 09:52:31 AM »
I'm not sure really - I have about 3 pairs and I've had them about 5 years but for the last 3 years since I retired I haven't used them. At a guess if you're careful they probably last about 12 - 18 months used say 3 times a week.  They are certainly well made and will take a fair bit of pulling and stretching without coming apart. They are also very comfortable to wear compared to metal.

Barry