Author Topic: How much rope do I need?  (Read 8745 times)

lcurious

• Chief Mate
  • Chief Mate -
How much rope do I need?
« on: July 11, 2009, 10:33:53 PM »
I am going to put some fancy knot work on my mizzen mast. It is 76 inches in circumference. I am thinking of a 5 leads TK tripled or perhaps ABOK 1376 doubled (or tripled)  Rope will be 5/8 twist or braided. I would appreciate best guesses on feet needed.
Thanks
Paul

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
Re: How much rope do I need?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 01:02:29 AM »
Paul,

Assuming a 5P17B single cord triple pass THK with 5/8-inch line the length would be about 132 feet.  Don't know what ABOK #1376 would run to.  The 132 feet asusmes making a tight knot with no trailing length for tightening, so probably allow another five feet or so, just in case.  That is one heckuva mizzen mast at 24-inches diameter - what vessel is it for, if we may make so bold as to ask?

SR

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:52:16 PM »
All you need is to find a person disposing of an old anchor rode,
preferably of a compressible braid, which you could bleach
clean white and ... .  Or a fisherman retiring some longline.

;)

lcurious

• Chief Mate
  • Chief Mate -
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:07:55 PM »

SR -
The ship is the Empire Sandy, owned by Nautical Adventures - there is also a write up in Wikipedia for those interested.
Masts are 114 ft -  for clearance on the St Lawrence Seaway whose limits are 120 ft. We are replacing halyards, so I have plenty of old rope to work with.
Dan - Re knots used
Hawsers are both braid and twisted and both types have splices and bowlines. We need extra long ones for going in the St Lawrence Sea way so we use longer lines and tie temporary eyes. Short lines for normal use are spliced.
Sails are lashed with lashings that go through the sails eyes stopped on one side with F8s and the other has a a small eye (bowline). Sails are lashed by bringing the lashing down around the boom through the eye and finished with a slip sheet bend.
Reef knots to finish some lashing or to tie parcels....
Had a clove hitch yesterday on an 3/4 in braided that had the last turn come back under the crossing and over the first turn. It was jammed so tight we had to pound it out with a pair of marlin spikes. Never had that happen before.
Never seen a bowline capsize

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 05:06:19 PM »
Paul,

Very elegant vessel!  Good luck with your TH or #1376 - looking forward to seeing your photographs when complete!

SR