Author Topic: Favorite Way to Tie Trucker's Hitch  (Read 194808 times)

xarax

Re: Trucker's Hitch: Favorite Way to Tie
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2011, 02:53:52 PM »
   Even a simple 2 : 1 mechanical advantage can be exploited, so knots that would not hold otherwise, can serve as sufficiently secure binders. The most prominent example is the Gleipnir. In the attached pictures, see four adjustable binders, from the more complex to the most simple.

P.S. The last binder, although it looks very simple, it is very efficient. In fact, each overhand knot grips and immobilizes the penetrating other overhand knot s Tail End so efficiently, it was also conceived as a bend ( ! )( Bend "X", M. B3 ), by Mandeville :
   G. Budworth. The Knot book. ( 1983 )( p. 131 )
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:23:03 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2011, 08:54:58 PM »
To be precise, Hrungnir is talking about tying a double loop...Then, you go around the second anchor twice, and through each loop once.

That is precisely what "in parallel" means !  :) Like resistors arranged in a series and in parallel...The configuration, "in a series", shown, is self locking.
This is not a knot.

TMCD

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2011, 04:37:50 PM »
I may start to tie my TH's with the Bellringer and a half hitch for insurance. The guy in the Trail Blazer's video that we've featured in this thread does it that way and Knot4U ranks it high on his list. I started fooling around with this method and it seems secure but better yet, it's fairly easy to untie after a heavy load has been tied down with it.

I've tinkered with so many different ways to tie the TH because it's fun to me. Is the Bellringer/half hitch lock method popular?

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Big Advantage of Bell Ringer loops
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2011, 08:32:01 PM »
The Bell Ringer loops are the only loops in my list that allow me to have the rope fed through the loop without needing access to the working end.

This can also be done with a Midspan Sheet Bend pinching off a loop.  The result will be more stable.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

TMCD

« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2011, 05:13:38 AM »
That certainly is a nice advantage to have, but why don't you stop or coil the rope on the first anchor side and then uncoil the proper amount needed to finish the hitch. I did this the other day actually, I just uncoiled the amount I needed for a tie down and left the excess in a coil on the first anchor side. I do see what you're saying though and you could definitely bring the excess coil over to the other side.

Knot4U, I have also started tinkering with the span loop and it's a good looking loop. I don't like the way it takes a load on the one side that seems to distort, so I have to work fairly hard to tie it the way I want it to take the load. I like tying it so that when cinched down, it doesn't distort and that seems to only be achievable from one side of it. It unties like a dream too...On ABOK 1074, are you running the working end through both loops or just the first loop?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 05:18:53 AM by TMCD »

xarax

ABoK#1148 as a double Trucker s hitch loop
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2011, 06:12:37 PM »
  It would be interesting to test the "double" Bell Ringer s loop ( ABoK#1148 ) as a double Trucker s hitch loop, in the spirit of (1). Is it as easy to untie as the Span loop ( ABoK#1049 ) ?

1.   http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=2812.0
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:16:59 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2011, 10:02:45 PM »
BIG advantage of the Bell Ringer loops

These loops are unique in that I don't need the working end of the rope to place the rope through the loop.
The Bell Ringer loops are the only loops in my list that allow me to have the rope fed through the loop without needing access to the working end.

I'm not following what is said, what is going on, here.
Can you give an example of this characteristic,
of where the bell ringer succeeds and some other
knot fails?

--dl*
====

TMCD

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2011, 01:10:32 AM »
BIG advantage of the Bell Ringer loops

These loops are unique in that I don't need the working end of the rope to place the rope through the loop.

Can you give an example of this characteristic,
of where the bell ringer succeeds and some other
knot fails?

--dl*
====

The tying method of the Bell Ringer automatically places the WE inside the loop once finished, that's all he's saying. You don't have to reeve the WE through the loop like you do in knots such as the Lineman's Loop or Directional Fig 8 etc.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:12:29 AM by TMCD »

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2011, 06:06:31 PM »
I couldn't follow this at first but then realised that I have tied most trucker hitches using a hook at the WE where the loop doesn't matter whereas with no access to the end of the anchor point as would be the case with a bar or roof rack then the bellringer or midspan sheet bend (the latter I rather like for this) do make life easier. I'm grateful to knot4u for pointing this out.

Barry

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2011, 05:55:31 AM »

--dl*
====

To add to what TMCD said,

I'm still lost.
When I see a bellringer's loop I see an eye devoid of anything
*in* it (as in Xarax's copied double version).  Can you explain some
example --showing where this I-don't-see-it difference matters--
in *slow motion*, as it were.

Okay, the infinitely long rope has been tossed over the load
on the lorry, and we're to put in a trucker's hitch.
We grab the rope, and ... ?
There must be just a hook for our anchorage, or else
the endlessness of the rope challenges us if a ring.  OR is
this the key?  --that one can reeve a bight through a ring
and then form the leveraging sheave via bellringer ?

(One can go further than bellinger into a full bowline
with the *working bight-end*, btw, and get twin eyes,
to boot, plus the more stable knot.)

--dl*
====

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2011, 05:27:10 PM »
Should I be tying the Midspan [Sheet Bend] as shown in your diagram on the right?  Or should I be tying it like that diagram upside down?  In other words, which side of the Midspan is the pulled rope?

Both directions of pull will work, although I might have a slight preference to having the U-shaped part of the knot associated with the tensioning side of the line.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

TMCD

« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2011, 12:32:40 AM »
Another clever way to tie a TH using the SheepShank version is to tie the Constrictor in the Bight and then push your bight up through both HH's and cinch down. It essentially does the same thing as the Bell Ringer HH lock does, rendering the Sheep Shank version secure. I'd love to take credit for this tying method because I simply have looked EVERYWHERE on the computer and haven't seen any signs of anyone tying a TH this way. It works just as well as the HH lock on the Bell Ringer and it dresses almost exactly like the Bell Ringer. It unties easily too and I'm pleased to report this finding.

If you're a lover of the SheepShank version, often called the Truckie Hitch, this should be attractive to you. I think I'll start using this method, although I like the Bell Ringer HH lock. I'll call this one the Bell Ringer Constrictor...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:35:15 AM by TMCD »

xarax

« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2011, 01:30:51 AM »
push your bight up through both HH's

Pushing a bight through two nipping loops, resembles the tying method of the four loops described at Reply#92 (also shown at Reply#96) right ?
This is not a knot.

TMCD

« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2011, 01:47:29 AM »
Yes, your pics show basically the same theory as what I'm tying. I'm just using the Constrictor on the Bight method and pushing the loop through them as you did. Your pictures don't show the Constrictor method or do they?

I may do a YouTube video of this method as I've never seen or read about it on the internet. This is a really cool way to tie a TH IMO.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:50:34 AM by TMCD »

TMCD

« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2011, 02:14:50 AM »
Wait a minute Xarax, the more I studied your pics the farther apart we are here. Your pics show a slipped OH that's beefed up with another HH. My work is the Constrictor on the Bight as the midline knot but it also utilizes key features of the Bell Ringer. It's a Ringer Constrictor in essence.

anything