Author Topic: Favorite Way to Tie Trucker's Hitch  (Read 194513 times)

Benboncan

Re: Trucker's Hitch: Favorite Way to Tie
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2011, 09:27:55 PM »
Not a knot or a Truckers Hitch but might be of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Tx9T55hHc&feature=related

xarax

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2011, 04:13:36 PM »
   Just another tucker s hitch variant, based upon the mechanism described at (1). At the "second line of defence", the tail is secured here by a Versatackle-like self locking mechanism.

1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3012.0
This is not a knot.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »
   Just another tucker s hitch variant, based upon the mechanism described at (1). At the "second line of defence", the tail is secured here by a Versatackle-like self locking mechanism.

1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3012.0

Actually, no, this doesn't even begin to work
--the friction build-up overwhelms it.

:(

TMCD

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2011, 12:38:43 AM »
So far, the Trucker's Hitch is by far my favorite knot to toy and play around with. There's just so darn many ways of getting creative with the structure, especially the midline loop. I think the easiest loop and it's never slipped on me, is just making a loop and twisting it a couple of times, this is the biggest descrepancy regarding the T.H. anyway. Some people on here swear by the Span Loop, some the butterfly loop, fig 8 etc. I've tried Andy's T.H. that he learned as a garbage man and it's not my favorite, I just don't like the way the midline loop ties, it's odd to me.

Ashley recommends the Harness Loop in his book and it's a decent loop but seems to require a lot of extra rope until it finally tightens on itself.

xarax

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2011, 12:45:38 AM »
--the friction build-up overwhelms it. :(

That s the good news ! The friction build-up is sufficient to block the binder completely , 2 B sure !  :)
  We have to tighten the binder in more than one step, as I have already said for the other similar binders: First, we pull the proper end of the "one way" mechanism, so that the first loop shrinks to the desired degree, and tensions the binder. Then, and only then, having the size of this first loop fixed by the "first line of defence", the one way mechanism, then we make sure the "blocking end" stays a little tensioned, ( so it remains parallel to the "blocked" end, and the mechanism does not fall apart ). How do we achieve this task ? By passing the tail through the second and third lines of defence, eliminating any slack rope that is left on the second loop.
   It might look complex at first, but, after a little practice, it is not. We first have to master this "one way" mechanism, get the "feeling" of how it blocks the slippage of the rope through the bight when we pull it by the one end, while it allows it when we pull it by the other end. ( We must only make sure that the two legs of the rope are parallel to each other, so we must always maintain a small tensile force on the "blocking" end as well.)

This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2011, 01:59:53 AM »
 I think you preemptively scare away 90% of the people in an already small crowd right from the beginning. 

Impossible ! The 90% of this crowd in not a whole person ! (yet...)  :)  

Instead of a Bowline right there, that would likely be my second (non-rope) anchor.

Of course. Sorry for any confusion because of this choice. I have shown the "white" end of the "orange" rope as such, just to cover the case we use this structure as a binder around a pack of objects. In the tucker s hitch, we only need an anchor ring there. ( I always follow the convention to show the free ends as "vertically" placed rope strands in the picture frame.)
This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2011, 02:13:18 AM »
  I see a major flaw here.  By introducing more friction, you're further reducing the mechanical advantage in a system that is already not even close to the nominal mechanical advantage...
   I prefer to leave the extra friction out of the system until the very end...

You are right. I am delighted when I use the mechanical advantage of the Versatackle ( not to say anything about its marvellous self locking mechanism at the very end ). I have tied my first Versatackle only recently, and I still enjoy the wonderful mechanism of this knot. The hitch I have shown here is nothing but an exercise on the possibility of incorporating the "one way" mechanism I explain at (1), in the case of tucker s hitch. I would be glad if you succeed in simplifying this idea even further, perhaps in other, novel ways that have not crossed my mind.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:34:29 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

xarax

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2011, 02:30:20 AM »
...it used too much material
... for me, tightened down before it was tight enough.  

For a binder using less material, see (1).
   It was happening to me, too, all the time !  :) The trick is to adjust it in three steps, as I have explained in (2).

"2 B sure", I think that you have to pass the tail one more time around the anchor pole and the through the nipping loop of your "niptruck". Or, just tie another, second Gleipnir nipping loop alongside the first - as the inventor of the Gleipnir has suggested in the original post.

1) http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3012.msg17902#msg17902
2) http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1870.msg17898#msg17898
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:22:55 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

Atomic

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2011, 12:32:44 AM »
I like the butterfly loop. I didn't know the name of it, just how to tie it. When I looked it up I found that it was also called the lineman's loop. Pretty cool because I am a lineman. Anyway I teach it to all the youngins that try to put a looped overhand knot in the rope. It's easy to remember how to tie and it comes out easy.

dbertels

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
I've been using the Trucker's Hitch (with single slipknot) for many years now, mostly to tie my kayak onto the car's roofrack. The photo illustrates the 2 ways I use of finishing it. I keep on reading that people use clove hitches to finish off, however I've found this difficult to do as the rope is under tension, just using ordinary 'square' knots (if that's the right word) seems to work best for me. While this has been working for me,  is this a sensible way of  going about it?

xarax

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »
people use clove hitches to finish off, however I've found this difficult to do as the rope is under tension

First, you tighten and stabilize the hitch with the help of the single (1), or the double (2) Versatackle-like lock - you pass the tail in between two oposing U s. Then, you finish and secure it with half hitches or something.

1) http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1870.msg17364#msg17364
2) http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1870.msg17414#msg17414
This is not a knot.

TMCD

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
I've been using the Trucker's Hitch (with single slipknot) for many years now, mostly to tie my kayak onto the car's roofrack. The photo illustrates the 2 ways I use of finishing it. I keep on reading that people use clove hitches to finish off, however I've found this difficult to do as the rope is under tension, just using ordinary 'square' knots (if that's the right word) seems to work best for me. While this has been working for me,  is this a sensible way of  going about it?

I use reversed half hitches just like you do when finishing off my trucker's hitch. The RHH's are much more easily untied than the standard two half hitches and they still give plenty of security in my experience. The only thing I do differently than you is the mid line knot. When tying the midline knot, I tie it by taking into consideration how long and how often I'll use this system. For example, I've got my small jon boat secured to the trailer with a trucker's hitch and it's basically semi-permanent, so I use a figure 8 on the bight. If it's a one time deal, such as moving furniture, I'll tie a slipped figure 8 that allows me to untie the knot easily and it can be used for another purpose. You could also use the Butterfly Knot for a semi permanent TH, but I usually tie some sort of slip knot if it's not permanent.

TMCD

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2011, 01:44:15 PM »
I always tie the initial half hitch in a slipped form but for some reason, I just like the look of two RHH versus two HH. I've read where Ashley stated two HH are slightly more secure than two RHH, but the RHH untie easily.

A part of me likes the RHH because of the Cow Hitch structure that 's involved versus the clove hitch that makes up two HH. Same as the Buntline vs. Lobster Buoy Hitch, the Buntline is based on the clove hitch while the Lobster Buoy is based upon the Cow Hitch. Of course in the last scenario, they say the Buntline is a tad bit more secure than the Lobster Buoy, but they're both trapping the working end.

sinthome

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2011, 12:03:07 AM »
How would you classify the "trucker's hitch" in this video? It is my favorite so far, since it seems to stay pretty secure (with the double loops) and doesn't snag when trying to pull it undone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQFyR153mXI

I don't know enough about knots to tell which one this is and if everyone has been talking about it already.  :P

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2011, 12:34:52 AM »
How would you classify the "trucker's hitch" in this video? It is my favorite so far, since it seems to stay pretty secure (with the double loops) and doesn't snag when trying to pull it undone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQFyR153mXI

I don't know enough about knots to tell which one this is and if everyone has been talking about it already.  :P
Calling it a "truckies hitch" as is done in the video kinda grates on my ears. 

The video starts off with an unwise choice of a clove hitch.  Just about anything would be better.  The choice of a bell-ringer's knot or some variant is quick (unless you follow the video method), but is not very secure and stable.  You could increase the stability by turning the bell-ringer's knot into Span Loop, and using that as your pulley simulator:

http://notableknotindex.webs.com/spanloop.html

I'm partial to using two pulley simulators as shown here (second diagram for the context of this discussion):

http://notableknotindex.webs.com/Versatackle.html

Not only do you get more tension, but the system is self-locking, so you don't lose tension as you fumble to figure out how to tie off the end.  Just pull and you're done.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:36:05 AM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index