Author Topic: Favorite Way to Tie Trucker's Hitch  (Read 194847 times)

Keystoner

• On Walkabout
Re: Trucker Hitch: Favorite Way to Tie
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2013, 05:30:32 PM »
diff_lock
Really good video, can you try my method in that small cord? My method is using ABOK 173 but I do not allow my Clove Hitch to widen like you and most others do in their tying method. I tie the Clove Hitch exactly like you would if you were tying it to a ring or rail, jammed up tight as it should be. I'd be very interested in the results of that scenario.

For the record on my method, which I've tested crudely in Paracord, I've never had it slip or fail. I can report it seems sturdier tying the Clove Hitch method than using the Cow Hitch, (I've tried the Cow Hitch).

Great suggestion!  Diff_lock, what TMCD is describing here when he suggests ABOK #173 is two explicit nips with the standing part around the bight, just like the third TH in your video but he dresses the two nips together to form an unmistakable Clove Hitch.  If that doesn't work, try ABOK #173 + Half Hitch lock.  Now that's the video I'd like to see.

Keystoner

• On Walkabout
« Reply #211 on: January 27, 2013, 05:51:41 PM »
>> For the record on my method, which I've tested crudely in Paracord, I've never had it slip or fail. I can report it seems sturdier tying the Clove Hitch method than using the Cow Hitch, (I've tried the Cow Hitch).

When you say "Cow Hitch," do you mean you tied both nips with the standing end around the bight to form a Cow Hitch?  This is not what I'm saying Knot4u's TH is at all.

diff_lock

« Reply #212 on: January 27, 2013, 06:55:21 PM »
diff_lock
Really good video, can you try my method in that small cord? My method is using ABOK 173 but I do not allow my Clove Hitch to widen like you and most others do in their tying method. I tie the Clove Hitch exactly like you would if you were tying it to a ring or rail, jammed up tight as it should be. I'd be very interested in the results of that scenario.

For the record on my method, which I've tested crudely in Paracord, I've never had it slip or fail. I can report it seems sturdier tying the Clove Hitch method than using the Cow Hitch, (I've tried the Cow Hitch).

I was not able to get the hitch very tight but at least they are close together. Results are similar to bell ringer + half hitch lock. It slips and then binds.

http://youtu.be/JDGwa03F3QA

If that doesn't work, try ABOK #173 + Half Hitch lock.  Now that's the video I'd like to see.

Read this one just after uploading the last vid. I will try this now. http://youtu.be/JfNqF_cpCak
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:13:25 PM by diff_lock »

diff_lock

« Reply #213 on: January 27, 2013, 08:52:25 PM »
The simplest Bell Ringer Trucker is already complex in the entire universe of Trucker Hitches.  Tying ABOK #173 plus a Half Hitch lock reminds me of an old saying, "If you don't know how to tie good knots, just tie more knots." Yuck.

Was thinking the same. It isn't even easy to untie after it capsizes.

Keystoner

• On Walkabout
« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2013, 11:40:43 PM »
>> Simpler versions are plenty secure and don't jam, as demonstrated in your other video, second knot.

Wait, diff_lock, I didn't see ANY of the combinations in your videos NOT jam or completely disintegrate.  Did I miss something?

>> Tying ABOK #173 plus a Half Hitch lock reminds me of an old saying, "If you don't know how to tie good knots, just tie more knots."

And the proof is in the pudding.  Thanks for that video, diff_lock.  I wish you luck and I am very curious for you to find the right combination for that size line.

And thanks for that old adage, knot4u.  I will use that to discourage others from just adding more knots.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:25:49 AM by Keystoner »

Keystoner

• On Walkabout
You did it!
« Reply #215 on: January 28, 2013, 12:32:47 AM »
>> That looks like it collapsed into my version of ABOK #173.

That was all it took.  I read this and thought, "How can that be?"  I tied at true explicit two nip ABOK #173, per the figure.  I took the top nip and collapsed it.  It was exactly knot4u's ABOK #172 + Half Hitch lock -- Knot4u Style!

I'm still going to show you where I was coming from--from an engineering standpoint, free body diagrams and all.  Can you be patient there ol' pal?

diff_lock

« Reply #216 on: January 28, 2013, 12:57:21 AM »
Wait, diff_lock, I didn't see ANY of the combinations in your videos NOT jam or completely disintegrate.  Did I miss something?

Thanks for that video, diff_lock.  I wish you luck and I am very curious for you to find the right combination for that size line.

All knots in my videos "failed". But the knot knot4u was talking about is the bell ringer + half hitch lock. Even though it slipped and jammed knot4u is saying that there is no need to go all out and make a ABOK #173 + half hitch lock which will eventually ALSO slip and jam.

He is saying that you can get the same result (slip and jam) with both knots so why go the extra step required for an ABOK #173 + half hitch lock knot. That is how I understood knot4u's post.

EDIT: I am also now lost. Disregard my paraphrasing of knot4u.

I use a span loop almost exclusively for my truckers hitches and versatackle systems for the sole reason that it is so easy to untie. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:02:37 AM by diff_lock »

Keystoner

• On Walkabout
« Reply #217 on: January 28, 2013, 12:59:41 AM »

Thanks for that video, diff_lock.  I wish you luck and I am very curious for you to find the right combination for that size line.

All knots in my videos "failed". But the knot knot4u was talking about is the bell ringer + half hitch lock. Even though it slipped and jammed knot4u is saying that there is no need to go all out and make a ABOK #173 + half hitch lock which will eventually ALSO slip and jam.

He is saying that you can get the same result (slip and jam) with both knots so why go the extra step required for an ABOK #173 + half hitch lock knot.

I use a span loop almost exclusively for my truckers hitches and versatackle systems for the sole reason that it is so easy to untie.

Definitely.  That was just an idea and I'm glad you proved it wasn't advantageous.  Please keep us informed as to the best combination you find for that size line.

ETA:  You're saying you use a Span Loop.  Well how about a video?  ;)  Only if it is convenient for you...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:13:10 AM by Keystoner »

diff_lock

« Reply #218 on: January 28, 2013, 04:03:28 AM »
Not sure if something like this has already been posted.

http://youtu.be/6V3xH7nA3aA

Infinite rope solution. Tested with a few cords and rope, all held. But honestly I have very limited testing abilities.

Isn't the Bowline with a bight a infinite rope solution too? "Bowline With A Bight (ABOK #1074)"

I don't have the book so I cannot be sure on what exactly it is.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:11:05 AM by diff_lock »

diff_lock

« Reply #219 on: January 28, 2013, 04:32:18 AM »
Ok, so what is a Bowline With a Bight?

diff_lock

« Reply #220 on: January 28, 2013, 05:10:16 AM »
When ever I needed a loop in a hurry I would just slap a bowline with a bight. This was before I knew much about knots. Now with all this testing, and verification I second guess myself all the time.

This forum has ruined me. Btw I have been reading this forum for over a year. I just joined a few days ago. 

Speaking of testing, I was able to break a 1.4mm polyester cord with that butterfly loop bell ringer thing. It broke at the butterfly portion.

TMCD

« Reply #221 on: January 28, 2013, 08:20:25 PM »
I need someone to test my Trucker's Hitch configuration, ABOK 173....but I JAM the Clove Hitch together. There's no in between space like what's presented in ABOK 173 where the Clove Hitch is widely seperated. Can I get a test on my method and have it put up on video please? I'm somewhat computer/video challenged or else I would conduct the test and put it up for the world to see.

Who ever does this, kindly tie the Clove Hitch and tighten it down just as you would if tying it to a ring or pipe, there's no seperation in my method. I'm curious as to what kind of security my method produces. Thanks in advance...and I've got a lot of catching up to do, you guys have done some really good testing and advancement it appears.

Sorry, I just noticed an honest attempt was made to test my method, didn't see it before I posted this though. I would like to see my method tested with that Clove Hitch nice and tight though, your test was really good but I can get that sucker much tighter than you did in that testing...no offense. It appears that my method was at least as good as most or better? I wonder how much pressue/loading it actually took for your pulley system to make my Trucker Hitch slip in that video?

Thanks again, Troy.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:38:08 PM by TMCD »

diff_lock

« Reply #222 on: January 28, 2013, 11:18:52 PM »
I need someone to test my Trucker's Hitch configuration, ABOK 173....but I JAM the Clove Hitch together. There's no in between space like what's presented in ABOK 173 where the Clove Hitch is widely seperated. Can I get a test on my method and have it put up on video please? I'm somewhat computer/video challenged or else I would conduct the test and put it up for the world to see.

Who ever does this, kindly tie the Clove Hitch and tighten it down just as you would if tying it to a ring or pipe, there's no seperation in my method. I'm curious as to what kind of security my method produces. Thanks in advance...and I've got a lot of catching up to do, you guys have done some really good testing and advancement it appears.

Sorry, I just noticed an honest attempt was made to test my method, didn't see it before I posted this though. I would like to see my method tested with that Clove Hitch nice and tight though, your test was really good but I can get that sucker much tighter than you did in that testing...no offense. It appears that my method was at least as good as most or better? I wonder how much pressue/loading it actually took for your pulley system to make my Trucker Hitch slip in that video?

Thanks again, Troy.

I would like to see someone tighten a clove hitch around polyester cord using polyester cord. It wont stick. I understand what you want but with the material I use a clove does not hold.

Keystoner

• On Walkabout
« Reply #223 on: January 29, 2013, 12:17:03 AM »
I would like to see someone tighten a clove hitch around polyester cord using polyester cord. It wont stick. I understand what you want but with the material I use a clove does not hold.

Do you find that the Span Loop that you uses does not perform satisfactorily?  In order to help others to better advise you, what is the application for which you use the small gauge polyester?

Keystoner

• On Walkabout
« Reply #224 on: January 29, 2013, 12:27:24 AM »
The Span Loop is unrelated to the issue he was discussing.

knot4u, diff_lock mentioned that he uses a Span Loop for his Trucker Hitches.  I thought he was here in order to investigate an appropriate Trucker Hitch combination for the small size line he uses.  If the Span Loop is already working satisfactorily for him, then I misunderstood his intentions.  Perhaps he can answer the question that I directed to him.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:30:14 AM by Keystoner »