Author Topic: Favorite Way to Tie Trucker's Hitch  (Read 194512 times)

Dan_Lehman

Re: Trucker Hitch: Favorite Way to Tie
« Reply #240 on: February 08, 2013, 06:42:33 AM »
I guess it was the first time I really tested the knot's limits.
Or yours.
... "super fiddly" means I'll need to take my gloves off,
or at the very least it means I'll look like a rookie.
Think "ski mask" --not just for skiers & robbers.

;)

TMCD

« Reply #241 on: February 08, 2013, 03:15:45 PM »
Did you try ABOK 1150 Knot4U? Same exact knot just dressed different at the end, I'm assuming you have a copy of Ashley's bible.

quahog

« Reply #242 on: February 09, 2013, 01:46:38 AM »
"Now for something completely different..."
How about using a zeppelin for the loop?  Not a typical zeppelin end loop but an in-line zeppelin loop.  Probably overkill since the butterfly would work just as well and be easier to tie.

Here's a pic of my zeppelin truckers hitch.  (zepplin is the top, slipped half hitch on the loop)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 03:56:18 AM by quahog »

TMCD

« Reply #243 on: February 09, 2013, 09:25:18 PM »
After tying the Trucker's Hitch using ABOK 1150 as the mid line loop five or six different times using some paracord, this knot is pretty darn good. I would be very confident using this knot is just about any situation, I couldn't get it to jam up. I was putting most of my weight on the pulling end of the Trucker's Hitch after tying it between two poles outside that sit on a grade. I got some serious weight and pulling ability because of the grade situation, (one pole is a little higher than the other and I'm on the down hill pole using my weight as leverage), and I couldn't get it to jam up, slip or anything.

This is a really good midline loop for tying the Trucker's Hitch, it's weakness would be that it's just a little bit fiddly to tie but from my perspective, MANY GOOD KNOTS are fiddly to tie. I'm not even sure it would be that fiddly after a little practice, so it's a stud in my book.

quahog

« Reply #244 on: February 09, 2013, 10:19:28 PM »
Hi quahog and welcome!

I am not familiar with how to tie an in-line Zeppelin Loop, which is the same thing on a Zeppelin Loop on a bight, correct?  I cannot figure out how tie it how you have it here.

Hi, and thanks for the welcome.

I've moved my in-line zeppelin instructions to a new thread: http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4263.0

As for my normal truckers hitch, I use a butterfly and to tie off a slipped HH and then a HH using the bight.  I'm pretty sure I've never used any kind of slipped loop.  I'm liking the idea of the bowline with a bight (ABOK #1074) so that you can use an infinite line....this is the same as the midspan sheet bend.  Using this you can even just pull a bight through the second anchor point, your bight will go through your bowline thingy and then tie off your slipped HH using a bight (bights bights bights).  ;)  I need to buy some longer cord so I can take a pic.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:00:33 AM by quahog »

TMCD

« Reply #245 on: February 10, 2013, 01:30:14 AM »
ABOK 1150 is proving itself over and over to me, I've played around with it for an hour or so and it's a GREAT midline knot for the TH...at least in paracord. I'll test some other ropes tomorrow and see how they perform. ABOK 1150 opens up VERY easy every time I tie the TH and I've used the double shank TH too, creating double the mechanical advantage in theory and it still opens easily. I've found the bomb knot, try folks, you'll enjoy it once you master tying ABOK 1150.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #246 on: February 10, 2013, 02:02:09 AM »
I've found the bomb knot, try folks, you'll enjoy it once you master tying ABOK 1150.
For the application, I don't think most people are going to turn to a double loop loop knot (ABOK 1150) any more than they are going to tie a loop that cannot be made on the bight (cf. quahog).
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

TMCD

« Reply #247 on: February 10, 2013, 03:21:12 AM »
I've found the bomb knot, try folks, you'll enjoy it once you master tying ABOK 1150.
For the application, I don't think most people are going to turn to a double loop loop knot (ABOK 1150) any more than they are going to tie a loop that cannot be made on the bight (cf. quahog).

Wrong, people will turn to ABOK 1150 once they realize how easy it unties after heavy loads AND how secure it is. I haven't seen a better midline loop for the TH...

quahog

« Reply #248 on: February 10, 2013, 03:45:16 AM »

Don't worry, I realize my in-line zeppelin is a ridiculous option for the mid-line loop.

As for ABOK 1150, I think the confusion is that TMCD is using it as a single loop (make the second loop small and just not use it).  This allows you to tie the truckers without passing the line through the loop (like how it's done with the bellringer).

diff_lock

« Reply #249 on: February 10, 2013, 04:05:03 AM »
I still have no idea which knots TMCD is referring to. Why continued use of some proprietary naming convention?

Pics or it didn't happen.

>2013
>on internet forum
>not posting pics of complicated structures

I shiggy.  Link deleted by moderator. Tested and found malware. Not knot related.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 05:06:08 AM by SS369 »

quahog

« Reply #250 on: February 10, 2013, 04:44:06 AM »
I still have no idea which knots TMCD is referring to. Why continued use of some proprietary naming convention?

Pics or it didn't happen.

>2013
>on internet forum
>not posting pics of complicated structures

I shiggy. http://reactionimages.tumblr.com/post/22773079993

I believe this is the knot TMCD is using:

Loose:

Set:

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #251 on: February 10, 2013, 05:57:52 AM »
As for ABOK 1150, I think the confusion is that TMCD is using it as a single loop (make the second loop small and just not use it).  This allows you to tie the truckers without passing the line through the loop (like how it's done with the bellringer).
This can be done with any single loop:
http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4245.msg26266#msg26266

If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

TMCD

« Reply #252 on: February 10, 2013, 04:52:23 PM »
Quahog is correct, sorry I'm not the most computer savvy, hence no pictures or diagrams, thanks so much Quahog. That is correct knot, ABOK 1150 and it's tied correct in those pics. I'm only using it as a single loop knot as was pointed out above.

I came to this knot after diff_lock tested many of the BellRinger options we use as midline knots and he shot most of them down in his testing. Diff_lock, if you have time, you need to test this knot on your device in that slippery, small cordage you were using. This knot has the capability to pass your test IMO.

It must be noted that Diff_lock's testing is done at an extreme level and many of those knots that either slipped or failed would work well "in the field".

diff_lock

« Reply #253 on: February 11, 2013, 12:16:50 PM »
Diff_lock, if you have time, you need to test this knot on your device in that slippery, small cordage you were using. This knot has the capability to pass your test IMO.

It must be noted that Diff_lock's testing is done at an extreme level and many of those knots that either slipped or failed would work well "in the field".

I have used the bowline with a bight and it does indeed hold very well. I use slippery cord so it was easy to untie. I can and will test this just to "get it on tape". Might learn something myself.

As Roo said, this can be done with any single loop knot.

I think the bowline on a bight is instinctual, you're suck in the middle of the rope, need a loop, grab a bight and form a bowline out of instinct. At least for me that is the case. In a hurry (I have said this before) I will throw a bowline up before anything else.

mat

« Reply #254 on: March 31, 2013, 03:42:05 PM »
Hi

I have a mid line loop which I have been playing around with which I think is a different configuration of the farmers loop but I'm not sure. It is non jamming and is really easy to untie and seems as strong as a span loop and can be pulled in all directions. I tie this a bit different to the farmers loop way of tying it. Here a few pics

front

back
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 11:33:23 PM by mtra »