Author Topic: Permission requested to use KnotMaker, please.  (Read 5809 times)

WebAdmin

• Administrator
Permission requested to use KnotMaker, please.
« on: August 05, 2010, 12:08:02 AM »
Dear Dave and Derek

Well, I finally got round to downloading KnotMaker, and I seem to have found yet another fun way of burning the midnight oil until these aurora over the UK show up  ;)

I would just like to ask for official permission, though, to use KM-originated images to help illustrate the draft website for the IGKT.  I don't know if they'll get through to the finished article, but I am hopeless at drawing knots properly, and I can't use copyright material from elsewhere.  KnotMaker will be an answer to prayer for me.

May I ask, though, because I'm not that IT-literate, what I need to do is save them as .bmp files, which I could either use, or convert to .jpgs or .pngs via the Serif Photoplus I have - is that correct?

Thank you for such a beautifully simple and elegant program, and for the links to the 3-D and Celtic versions, which I am saving for another night...  :)

Regards

Glenys
Lesley
WebAdmin

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
Re: Permission requested to use KnotMaker, please.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:56:26 AM »
Hi Glenys,

You don't need permission to use KM images that you create - they belong to you so you can decide how they will be used.  Although technically copyright belongs to the creator of any image, because anyone can make an exact replica of any KM image that you make, then we could all finish up with copyright of pixel by pixel, exactly the same image - silly really, but that is the law for you.

I am glad you have found a use for the utility - please use it any way you desire.

When you use the save as .bmp feature, size the window and the drawing first to the size you want.  The .bmp will save what is displayed in the KM window, handy if you have a KM file with lots of drawings and you want to have .bmp files of individual knots.

Yes, you can convert the .bmp files to .jpg (much smaller) using Photoplus, or even the free Paint program that ships with Windows.

Derek

WebAdmin

• Administrator
Re: Permission requested to use KnotMaker, please.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 11:40:22 AM »
Thanks, Derek.  I just wanted to make sure it was ok with you, as it is going to possibly be very public domain.  I did think about including a large advert saying "images provided by KnotMaker, form an orderly queue on this side" as well  ;D

Regards
Glenys
Lesley
WebAdmin