Author Topic: What knot is this?  (Read 4510 times)


  • Guest
What knot is this?
« on: December 31, 2005, 08:59:58 PM »
I had a bet with a friend, and i need someone to answer this.. what is this knot called?

Thanx in advance.


  • Exp. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 144
    • The Most Useful Rope Knots....
Re: What knot is this?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 09:05:16 PM »
Hi Grujah,

That's the Fisherman's Knot:



  • Exp. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 111
Re: What knot is this?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 02:54:13 AM »
I had a bet with a friend, and i need someone to answer this.. what is this knot called?

Please, a little more:  tell us what you & your friend, respectively, think it is?!



  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 366
Re: What knot is this?
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 05:32:59 AM »
This knot has a mirror, an alternative and a reversed versiion so I too am interrested in several posts more on a very common knot.  And how did the thread start?  What was the bet?  Happy New Year.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 05:34:45 AM by PABPRES »


  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 729
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
Re: What knot is this?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 07:06:59 AM »
I agree that it looks superficially like a Fisherman's knot (or any of the other names identified) but, avoid what you think you see and replicate exactly what you see in a piece of cord of your own.  The two overhand knots used to form this bend are opposite-handed.  When most people tie a FK they tie it either, as Roy has pointed out, both left-handed OH knots, or both RH overhand knots, but seldom do they tie one left and one right-handed as has been done in this illustration.  It is awkward to do, on the basis that many of us are single-handed and will consistently tie a knot LH or RH.  The illustration seems familiar and I shall look through my books to find this one, but I suspect that our friend maybe has the same question - why does a knot that has two parts like this come in two (or three) different forms, and why does it have the same name?  The two (or three) different forms are quite different in their locking action against each other.  Two same-hand knots will nestle their crossing parts together, whilst the opposite-hand knots will not.  Try it and you will see.  Are they different in their action?  I do not know of any formal testing done, nor of any testing protocol that might elucidate a comment-proof answer, but the illustration is intriguing.  Thanks for your question!

Happy New Year Knotters!



  • Guest
Re: What knot is this?
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 03:16:19 PM »
How Do all ;)

Please do not "quote" me on any thing I say in this post as my memory may not be working properly.

A while back I remember at an IGKT meeting talking to possibly Des Pawson and or Geoffrey Budworth about the Fishermans knot / double fishermans knot, and there had been some debate before this along the lines of, which method of tying was better, either with two like hand knots or two opposite hand knots.

Being a climber I use the double fishermans knot often so had my own view, this being that the knot tied with two like hand knots dressed better as the two knots nested together better in my opinion, and this was the way I had always tied it.

If I remember correctly Des's preference was for the knot with two opposite hand knots and Geoffrey's preference was for the knot tied with two like handed knots.
In the end I think the conclusion was that you can tie tie this knot which ever way you prefer as the stregnth of the knot is not compromised, I think it is more of an aesthetic thing, but don't quote me on this.

As for the correct name for the above pictured knot, I only know of it as an unorthodox fishermans knot.

Maybe someone out there can remember Who, What, Where, When better than me?

Take care,
Barry ;)


  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 92
Re: What knot is this?
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 04:01:19 PM »

Des Pawson's books shows the Fisherman's Knot tied as shown in the graphic above and so does Graumont and Hensel in EKFRW (plate 7; fig. 142). Personally, I prefer the other form.

One of the names Graumont and Hensel record for this knot is the "Halibut Bend". Which reminds me that a fisherman fishing on a rainy day was asked: Why are you fishing in the rain? He replied, "Just for the Halibut." [1] Now one could add: What knot are you using? He could reply: "A Halibut Bend!".

[1] "Just for the Halibut" is a play on the phrase "Just for the Hxll of it" (x = e; avoiding this softwares censor). A chuckle would be appreciated.  ;D



  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 431
  • knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
Re: What knot is this?
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 04:51:30 PM »
As a hobbist netter, and trying to get real netters to teach me the proper ways, I have asked several how they tie there netting yarn together. This is a knot often used. And some insist on both knots being identical, others on them being opposite. Most do not even realise there is such a difference.

In my own experience both versions of the knot do perform well enough to make no difference.

To add a little to the name discussione, now we have the 'proper' name in English. In dutch it is called 'Zoeteliefjes', this translates to 'sweet lovers' mostly without using a word for knot, but sometimes they do add the word 2 before the name, so two sweet lovers, easy aide de memoire, they need to snuggle up to each other.

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.