Author Topic: Snelling a hook  (Read 12906 times)

TMCD

Snelling a hook
« on: May 28, 2011, 02:22:13 AM »
As most of you know, I'm a fairly serious fisherman and quality knots are critical in landing the big ones. Recently I've gone away from tying the Palomer Knot as my go to knot, I've since enjoyed the snell knot as my favorite panfishing knot. I'm not fishing for big saltwater game or even stout fresh water game, instead fishing for bluegill, shellcracker and crappie. Snelling a hook has several distinct advantages over other fishing knots, chiefly being it gives a VERY direct inline pull when you set the hook on a fish. This tends to hook the fish in the corner of their mouths and you miss far less fish consequently.

Tying the snell the traditional way seems to be a PITA, especially in four pound test line. There are several different ways of snelling a hook, I'm currently choosing the whipped snell which is far easier to tie than the traditional. If there's any fisherman on this board, I'd like to hear your thoughts on what works best when tying the snell knot.

knot4u

Re: Snelling a hook
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »
Tagged for future reference!

aknotter

• Exp. Member
  • Member IGKT-PAB since 2000
    • Pacific Americas Branch of the IGKT
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 06:28:24 PM »
I have fished small streams for trout for many years (35+).  Panther Martin spinners are my favorite lure (1/16 & 1/32 oz).  The knot I have always used is the plain old clinch knot.  Not even an improved clinch.  And I have never had a failure at the knot.  That is using 4 &/or 6 lb. test line.  I only use #6 when I am fishing particularly swift water or water with a lot of grass and such in it (or heavy brush by it).  Remember, I said SMALL streams - common catch is 6 or 8 inch trout, 10 inchers sometime, with a bigger one occasionally.  And I do catch a lot of smaller ones that, of course, get put back.  BUT - that's just my experience, yours could be different.  I also think that the quality of the line is very important.  I use clear blue Stren unless I can't find it when its time to get new line.   :)
Jimmy R Williams - IGKTPAB Secretary/Treasurer
Site: IGKTPAB.ORG Email: IGKTPAB@GMAIL.COM
Event Pix: PICASAWEB.GOOGLE.COM/IGKTPAB

TMCD

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 05:03:14 AM »
I started out early in my fishing career using the clinch knot or half blood as it's probably the easiest fishing knot to tie in slippery light weight line, but it's one of the weaker knots IMO. I would use the improved clinch versus the regular clinch because you've got another friction point adding a little more security to the setup. Tying jigs or lures as you've stated, you could tie the trilene knot, berkley knot, palomar knot or any other variety of fishing knots that would beat out the half blood knot. The snell knot is reserved for hooks only, typically not used for lures or jigs. 

I've just recently started snelling my hooks, it really does seem to catch more fish at least for me anyway. The snelled knot stays in the direct center plane of the fish hook and it's tied around the shank. Most other knots, while certainly valuable in many situations, are tied to the eye of the hook and can easily move around the eye from one side to the other. You don't get that movement with a snelled hook, it stays directly on the shank of the hook, jammed against the hook eye.

There seems to be about five or six different ways to snell a hook though, I'm still trying to figure out the proper hand movements tying it the traditional way. It looks really simple until you try to tie the damn thing, there's some finicky hand movements in the traditional snell that are very hard to grasp IMO. As of now, I'm tying two snell variations, the whipped snell and another form I learned on you tube. Of course tying these knots in four pound test line is tricky regardless of what knot you're using, very slippery material.

I'm currently practicing using garden twine on an oversized catfish hook, I'm determined to learn this traditional method. Really attractive knot once jammed down against the hook eye.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:08:33 AM by TMCD »

Transminator

• Exp. Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 08:17:46 AM »
The uniknot is simple enough and secure.
I wonder now whether it also works well as a snell knot tied around the shank!?

TMCD

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 02:21:08 PM »
Yes, the Uni Knot makes a very nice snell knot. The problem I have with trying the Uni Knot, is that with 4lb test line it's VERY hard to tie correctly. I believe with much heavier line, braided line etc, it would be much easier to navigate.

I'm using the Whipped Snell, which is basically a perfected whipping. I'm also using a version of the snell shown on You Tube by a fella named the Average Fisherman, it's probably the easiest version of the knot I've seen. The traditional snell has some hand movements that are tricky, but one mastered I'm sure it'd be a piece of cake. 

knot4u

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 08:45:37 PM »
Spend some time and just watch Knot Wars videos.  They perform the most comprehensive tests for fishing knots I've ever seen.  Their results will serve you better than an individual's opinion.  Each fisherman has their own beliefs in fishing knots almost to the point of it being a religion.  Don't confuse that with objective, comprehensive testing.

Here's one example.  In the video below, Knot Wars tests the Basic Snell against the Two Circle Turtle:
http://www.fishingclub.com/video-tv/articletype/articleview/articleid/2773/categoryid/1100/knot-wars-2011--episode-11-champ-vs-two-circle-turtle-knot
The Basic Snell was the winner.  The Basic Snell also beat a few other knots in prior episodes.

Keep in mind, Knot Wars is only testing knots strength.  Another big factor in choosing a fishing knot is ease of tying.  That's a subjective consideration for each fisherman.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:04:27 AM by knot4u »

knot4u

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 10:51:48 PM »
This article says snelling a hook can only be done with a leader:
http://www.fish4fun.com/snell.htm

Is that wrong???  This Youtube video shows how it's possible to snell a hook by using the main line:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zW6UIGTzGw

Transminator

• Exp. Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 08:22:26 AM »
Spend some time and just watch Knot Wars videos.  They perform the most comprehensive tests for fishing knots I've ever seen.  Their results will serve you better than an individual's opinion.  Each fisherman has their own beliefs in fishing knots almost to the point of it being a religion.  Don't confuse that with objective, comprehensive testing.

Here's one example.  In the video below, Knot Wars tests the Basic Snell against the Two Circle Turtle:
http://www.fishingclub.com/video-tv/articletype/articleview/articleid/2773/categoryid/1100/knot-wars-2011--episode-11-champ-vs-two-circle-turtle-knot
The Basic Snell was the winner.  The Basic Snell also beat a few other knots in prior episodes.

Keep in mind, Knot Wars is only testing knots strength.  Another big factor in choosing a fishing knot is ease of tying.  That's a subjective consideration for each fisherman.

Yeah, great series. I stumbled on the online videos a couple of years back.
Since I don't go fishing much, I was just looking for one or two knots for fishing that cover most of my needs.
At that time the reigning champion was the palomar loop for attaching a hook (and it beat a great deal of other fancy knots) and the reigning champion for bending fishing line was the uniknot, I think it shared its place with the bloodknot but in their estimate the uni is slightly easier to tie (ymmw). I think later the palomar was beaten by the albright special.
Anyway, everybody was surprised about the palomar being so strong, because it is such a simple knot. For my needs I picked the palomar for the simplicity - security/strength ratio of that knot and the uni, as it is strong enough, not too complicated, relatively easy to tie and versatile. You can use it to attach a hook, snell knot, bend...
In fact I learned the uni first from a website, which said, in a nutshell: Why learn all sorts of fishing knots. Just learn the uni and use it for all tasks. (I think they called it the uni-knot-system). For somebody who does a lot of fishing this might just not be good enough, but for a casual angler as myself, it would do. Well, I decided to use the palomar and the uni, but I follow the same basic idea.

edit: just googled it and found this site: http://www.sportsmanschoice.com/terminal_tackle_knots.htm
This is not the page I was referring to, but at the bottom they show the uni-knot being used as a universal fishing knot.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:32:57 AM by Transminator »

TMCD

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 12:55:22 PM »
I remember the Palomar Knot winning that series as well, I was using the Palomar until recently. If you study the knots just a little, you'll come to the conclusion that a snelled knot around the shank of the hook, while possibly not as strong as the Palomar, will hook and land more fish. I was missing lots of fish with the Palomar, it doesn't give you the direct, in line pull of the hook like the snell does.

I agree about the Uni, it probably could solve all of my fishing situations. But as I stated earlier, it's a tough little knot to try and snell with four pound line. I've tied it in twine around a catfish hook, and it produces a very attractive looking snell.

My wife uses the clinch knot or half blood because she's not a knotty person like me. My infatuation with knots drives her nuts...but I catch way more fish than she does.

anything