Author Topic: Turks Head  (Read 9956 times)

Jerome

Turks Head
« on: August 10, 2005, 06:32:47 AM »
I was at a Boy Scout camp out last weekend and met a man with a unique walking stick. The stick had a Turks Head with maybe 10 bights in it, maybe more. Could someone tell me what book to buy that would have this information in it? The information needs to be simple enough for a six year to understand. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
                                 Thank you
                                 Jerry

knot_tyer

Re: Turks Head
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 10:32:19 AM »
Des Pawson's Knotcraft shows how to make long turk's heads....it is an excellent book!
amazon.com has it

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0713654414/qid=1123655411/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-7857116-7415826?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Eric Franklin
   Turksheads the Traditional Way - £1.50

the IGKT sells this great little book:

http://www.igkt.net/publications/index.html

...there are some IGKT members who make
canes and walking sticks....??...

Dan-Alaska

Jerome

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 01:45:22 AM »
Thanks for the information. Would there be another book that has the same information with more knots in it? Does this book have more knots than just the Turks Head? I would like to learn a few decorative knots. Thanks for your help.
                                Jerome

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 03:58:14 AM »
Jerome,

The Ashley Book of Knots by Clifford W. Ashley has a chapter on Turks Heads, as well as other decorative knots.  This is an excellent reference for all knotting.  The Turks Hed chapter shows how to make diagrams to make long and tall Turks Heads, as well as standard square Turks Heads.

When you want to try something a little more interesting, go to www.khww.net, and download some free templates (under Knot Tutorials) to tie complex Turks Heads.  These are simple patterns that tape to a toilet paper tube, and have the grid and pattern already laid out for you.  The Pear Shaped Turks Head (PSTH) and the Closed End Turks Heads are great for covering knobs and balls.  The knot might be complex, but with the template, it is easy to tie!

If you live near Seattle, Washington, come to the Fall Fisherman's Festival around the first weekend of September.  I will be at the IGKT booth, and I will show you how to tie a Turks Head in hand, and increase it to as many bights as you want.

Pat Ducey
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 04:05:47 AM by Pat_Ducey »

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 08:59:01 PM »
Jerome,
there are a lot of Turks Head Knots on internet and in the different books.
If you have a local library you might find some there and otherwise they can order some for you from other libraries. (Buying knotbooks is good but can get expensive when you go for books like the Ashley Book Of Knots.)

If you tie a 4 bight, 3 lead T(urks) H(ead knot) you can make it longer, (give it more bights) by braiding it a little more before you start doubling.

Make the 4b, 3l TH and slip in over your hand, (make the knot bigger by pulling more string through if needed.)
On the top of your hand you now have three strings, 2 of which are fixed at their other end, one which is loose at the other end. With those you can braid, as with all sets of three strings. When the knot is long enough, you start doubling as you would do with any TH.

I hope you understand this. Otherwise, go looking for TH's in books and on internet.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

Andre van der Salm

• Exp. Member
  • I am knot crazy
    • Knots and Knot tying
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 12:54:27 AM »
Hi Jerome,

Perhaps this website has some useful information for you as well.

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/Tejay480/images/home.html

Have fun!!

André van der Salm

Jerome

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 06:51:52 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. I need a visual to learn a knot or a good picture with diagrams. This last web site that was posted just above this post I could not get it to display. I will check more on the Internet.
Thanks again
                                  Jerome

Andre van der Salm

• Exp. Member
  • I am knot crazy
    • Knots and Knot tying
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 02:21:43 AM »
Jerome,

Strange you can't se that website. I checked again by clicking the link and for me it works OK.

success
André

Jerome

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 06:05:13 AM »
I clicked on the link tonight and it worked great. I printed off what was on there. Now I just have to figure out how to do the longer Turks head.
                                 Thanks
                                 Jerome

Andre van der Salm

• Exp. Member
  • I am knot crazy
    • Knots and Knot tying
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 03:50:17 AM »
Hi jerome,

Glad it is working now. Just use the grid which is on that website. I usually print it out, cut it to desired number of bights and leads and glue it around a cardbox cylinder or toiletpaper roll.

Have fun
André