Author Topic: floss knots  (Read 3360 times)

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
floss knots
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:48:08 AM »
here's a question that's bothered me for quite a long time: what knots can you tie in floss so that you can tie the floss around your fingers and it won't slip, or fall of the ends of your fingers, and it will hold tension so you can floss well even when the floss gets slippery and wet.  also, when you twist it around a finger to shorten it, it can't just spinn around again.  i'm sure you've all experienced the same problem.  so far, nothing i've tried works, although i haven't tried that much.

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: floss knots
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 05:04:20 AM »
Hi kd8eeh,

try making a "sling", a continuous circle using a bend of your choice.

SS

knot4u

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 05:43:01 AM »
I know this is not the answer you're seeking, but I just twist it around my fingers multiple times. This works well and is quick, and I'm using some extra slick Oral-B Glide floss.  With the extra floss you could use to make a sling, or whatever, you can instead use the common technique I described.  Then, I apply a little extra pressure with my thumbs.  The floss is transferred from one hand to the other as I use it.  If had to classify this "knot" in knotting terms, I'd say it's a Simple Hitch (ABOK #49) around my index finger plus multiple nipping turns.

Simple Hitch (ABOK #49)

Andy

• Exp. Member
  • Five Knots a Day keeps Alzheimer's Away
    • My Selection of Most Useful Knots
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 06:59:35 AM »
i'm sure you've all experienced the same problem.

Yes indeed. Interesting question that involves several tradeoffs:
1. Does the benefit outweigh the trouble of tying the knot?
2. The less it slips, the more it might constrict and cut circulation to the end of your fingers. For instance a constrictor is super fast to tie, but it will be uncomfortable.

On account of both of these tradeoffs, I have given up.
But I don't care, eight months ago I started to use "brushettes" every time after I floss. If you haven't used them, you'd be amazed at how much stuff they pick up after you have already flossed. And for the first time, at my bi-annual cleaning, the hygienist told me that everything looked really good. That was really great to hear as usually they tell me I can lift up my game, which left me confused as a regular brusher and flosser.

Regarding flossing, I just make a few turns. If it really slips, I guess it's time or to floss without toothpaste in my mouth, or to invest in another piece of floss.

my selection of most useful knots

knot4u

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:46:31 PM »
But I don't care, eight months ago I started to use "brushettes" every time after I floss.

Do you have a link?  I could not find this product.

Andy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 07:10:38 PM »
Hi Knot4U,

Do you have a link?  I could not find this product.

The product that's sold by my New Zealand dentist is called Dental Pro Interdental Brush. It's made in Japan by Jacks Co Ltd. Here is a link.
http://www.dentalpro.co.jp/en/product/interdentalbrush/i_8p.html
The brushettes come in several sizes. The hygienist recommends using the largest size for each interdental space, without forcing, which typically means two sizes. I have M and XX-S. A pack of eight brushettes costs ten New Zealand dollars, which is okay as each brushette seems to last a month or more.

And now for a feeble attempt to get back on topic:

I haven't yet found a decorative knot to tie the tiny bristles together. Nor do I use a lanyard to attach the brushettes to my wrist.

Regards,

Andy

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 04:17:55 AM »

I haven't yet found a decorative knot to tie the tiny bristles together. Nor do I use a lanyard to attach the brushettes to my wrist.

Regards,

Andy

I would think that you could use any small knot, and then just stab the brushets into them.  I'd probably use a small, simple turks head, and then insert each of the bristle ends into the knot, and as long as you have enough in it, it should hold them together fine.

Andy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 08:18:08 AM »
use a small, simple turks head, and then insert each of the bristle ends into the knot

Wow, what an ingenious idea, a great example of out of the box thinking. I was spinning my neurons searching for the best way to bind the bristles. Instead, you brought the bristles to the knot! Just brilliant. 

Oh, and...
thanks for the laugh.