Author Topic: Crowning bends and loops  (Read 2796 times)

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
Crowning bends and loops
« on: November 17, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
I have fond a very useful discovery in making decorative bends and loops.  The firs realization was that it takes only one strand to tie a crown knot.  From there, I went on to say that a bend, or a loop, has four ropes coming out of it, and at least one of them is free, in most cases.  So, i figured, "what if we tie a crown in these?"  In the majority of cases, you are left with some unsable knot that looks extremely decorative iff the knot has absolutely no load, but a few knots made yeilded very interesting results.  Namely, the carrick bend made a very very nice looking bend that can be doubled to form an even nicer looking bend, that deforms a little under tension, but if tied tight, this is not a problem.  Also, a bowline/sheet bend can be crowned to make a knot that, when tightened, will display a three strand crown on one side and a four strand crown on the other.  Then a crowned whatknot will actually display a crown on both sides, as will a crowned crown knot tied between the ropes (I forget it's name, it's what you get if you cross two strands and then tie a crown between the four ends coming off.)  Crowning a half knot results in a fairly nice knot whose ends are on opposite sides, although it is not so remarkable under a load.

I have attached some pictures of these knots.  Any thoughts?

Crowned carrick bend:

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
Re: Crowning bends and loops
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 08:07:46 PM »
crowned sheet bend (with the tails on the wrong side, so that the knot works out):

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 08:12:20 PM »
crowned half knot: on one side, then on both sides

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 11:27:46 PM »
   Could you, please, take pictures of those knots at a larger scale - closer to the lens, or with another lens ? Also, it would be useful if you take pictures of the other, "back" side of the knots, so we could follow the paths of the lines more easily.

kd8eeh

• Exp. Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 05:36:31 AM »
Here is a better picture for the Carrick bend. If you can follow that one, all of the others are pretty straightforward, but let me know of you still can't follow them

X1

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 12:50:17 PM »
   Much better !  :) However, now you use a lower resolution, and a smaller file. Try to go to 100KB. Also, the second=third picture is not focused. If you cannot change the lens, change the distance of the lens from the object while using a higher resolution / a larger file - and then trim the borders of the picture, the area of the background, until you isolate the object, and have a 100KB file at the same time.  If you do it sometimes, you will find how far you have to be from the object, and which resolution you have to use, in order to achieve a close-up view at the allowed 100KB file. 
   For a close-up or blown-up picture of a knot, it is better to leave very short tails, so their ends would still lie inside the frame - unless the knot is symmetric in respect to the standing ends and the tails.
  Also, it is better if you show a back-side view of the knot, too - unless the knot is symmetric in respect to the front and the back side ( as the Zeppelin bend, for example )
  There is a fine line separating the simple knots, which can possibly serve as practical knots as well, and the decorative knots. What is a "simple" knot is difficult to define (1), because knots are strange things - and there can be no definition of what is a "practical"  knot, because knot-tyers are even stranger ! However, with time, one learns to cross the fuzzy borders less frequently.
  See the bends shown at (2). I cannot say why they are not simple and practical knot, but, if I tie them a number of times, I can see it.

1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3740.0
2. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3671

( P.S. Please, believe that I do not want to patronize you, in any way ! We have the same age ( the only minor difference is that my tangled life has just a few more quarter-of-a-century tucks... ), and I am sure that, in (no) time, you will tie much better knots and take better much pictures than me.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 01:08:57 PM by X1 »