Author Topic: Look alike loops  (Read 88274 times)

xarax

Re: Look alike loops
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2013, 01:08:29 PM »
   I can not edit my previous post (1), so I have to post a new one here. Indeed, I should had offered the due reference about the Lehmans8 loop, at ;

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3810.msg22474#msg22474

( I do not pay much attention to non-PET loops, so it this may influence my ability to remember or set them well, as well !  :))

( Also, I have to correct a previous remark of mine, and tell that the exclusive club of knot tyers + knot testers has, as far as I know, 3, at least, members - as one can see at the reference above, the author of the Lehmans8 loop has tested this knot ).

1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4125.msg29139#msg29139
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:10:32 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

xarax

Lee s locked-by-means-of-an-overhand knot bowlines
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »
  I have not found one that is not jam prone, this included.

Does this observation of yours apply in the case of this last Lee s secure bowline (3), as in the previous ones (1)(2) ? I think that this last cow is prettier than the others - which were not ugly, either, not ugly at all !

1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4125.msg28421#msg28421
  2. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4125.msg28473#msg28473
  3. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4125.msg30432#msg30432

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 03:34:05 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2013, 01:05:08 AM »
Love the pink rope  :P, makes it very pretty. lol

This particular loop is not so "jammy" to me. The way the tail runs leaves the untying manageable. Mileage may vary due to the nature of the media used.

I actually prefer Lee's offering at http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4125.msg28209#msg28209 reply #82 for its looks.

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

SS

xarax

« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2013, 02:29:15 AM »
  The way the tail runs leaves the untying manageable.

Although I had tried to seduce you with the pink rope  :), you remain sceptical, and you basically say about the same thing, in a more mild way... You just can not say : This knot does not jam, period... Too bad for the pink !  :) It seems that the bulk of the one-line tail of the overhand-knot based lock is not enough to reduce the risk of jamming, so we probably need more keys / lines inserted into the lock / nub, more material - as in the Lee s locked bowline you mention.   
This is not a knot.

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2013, 04:33:18 AM »
Yes, I remain skeptical, to a degree. I can not say unequivocally that it will or will not jam. That is subjective to the material being used. Pink seduction can only go so far,  :D, and it may only be skin deep. I can say that in my exploration with my  materials, what I experience and determine.
I can say that there are knots that just do not jam, when they don't...

If I were to do near destructive testing, then I would have something a bit more concrete to report. The future may hold some of this, but not nearly as comprehensive as some might care for. Nor as far ranging.

There comes a point, lets say 3 diameters within the nub, where there is so much bulk that a jam just won't happen. But, we've sacrificed streamlining and compactness and possibly introduce detrimental movement under extreme loads. Where this movement occurs there can be harmful friction reducing the sheath/core, fiber's integrity and there goes the unit.

Difficultly in untying is a step below jamming, to me, and this is different for all people. Some have strong hands, some weak, some use tools and don't say, but they untie some beasts. Some ropes or cords deform/compress severely or they can be of a small dimension and make untying near next to impossible and to salvage the remaining length the knot has to be cut off.
Many of the knots in this thread alone, when tied in paracord, will stay there until the end of time if sufficiently loaded.

Perhaps someone can come up with a untie-ability rating system when they do their knot testing.

More pink knots? ;)

SS

alanleeknots

« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »
Hi All,  Thanks very much for all the reply. I have another loop here, I don't what should I call it. Seem like it make sense to rig it this way too. very well secure, 3 ropes diameter on the nipping loop, very easy to untie, and all 3 legs are nipping everywhere of the tail portion. 
Second photo I take away the main nipping loop, there is no knot in there.

謝謝   alan lee

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 09:01:11 PM by eric22 »

alanleeknots

« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2013, 07:05:37 AM »

Hi All,
          Few month ago I have this loop and I don't know why? I didn't post it in reply 75.
          Now I have more time to look at it again, she is solid simple loop, secure, easy to tie, easy to check
          and untie.

謝謝   alan lee.

alanleeknots

« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2013, 10:12:07 PM »

Hi All,

I have two loops here, I like it very much. They are simple,compact ,very well secure, easy to tie to check, and super easy
        to untie.

謝謝   alan lee       

alanleeknots

« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2013, 12:41:32 PM »
Hi,
I create this two photos here, make it easy for all the viewer include me to see the difference between them. All of these loops here have the same tye of long u shape collar and the last part of the tail is inline with the standing part, it make it so easy to untie.
I like to tell you more, but is  beyond my laungue barrier. I think the photo already worth the a thousand words.

謝謝   alan lee

P/S  firsts photo the second loop is the same at reply #110.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:48:31 AM by eric22 »

alanleeknots

« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2013, 01:09:23 PM »
 Hi All, 

I have another overhand locked bowline here, I don't see anything wrong with it, I have a 9/16 diameter rope and loaded heavy and find very easy to untie. she don't look bad at all.

謝謝   alan lee

Merry Christmas and Happy New year  and good luck to all of you.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:45:09 AM by eric22 »

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2013, 06:37:43 PM »
Hi Alan. Thank you for your work and "gifts".  :)

I hope you have Happy Holidays as well and a prosperous New Year too!

SS

alanleeknots

« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2013, 08:40:03 AM »

Hi All,
        Thanks for the reply SS369. I share my loops here, whether it is practcal, easy to tie or untie or not,
        but just want to show these good looking with everyone.

謝謝   alan lee.

alanleeknots

« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2013, 02:07:47 AM »
Hi All,
         I have this simple locked bowline here, I thinks this one is better than  Lee s overhand locked bowline(B).     

This simple lock is not a positive overhand knot, but it do act like a positive overhand knot. it use less material fit
         smoothly into the structure nub make it little more compact then Lee overhand locked bowline(B).

Second picture I have 9\16 rope and loaded it heavy and fond super easy to untie.
         I like to do more study and test on this group of loops, I will be back in the near future and tell you more.

謝謝   alan lee

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:17:04 AM by eric22 »

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2013, 03:45:41 PM »
I like this one Alan! It performs well. Thank you.
Have you tried it till it breaks? Maybe in the smaller stuff.

SS

alanleeknots

« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2013, 10:33:06 PM »

Hi All, 

Thanks SS369, I  just bought some blue water ropes, can't wait to tie some knots on this beautiful ropes, and now I got a
       lots of used 1/4 " solid brace ropes, it is  prefect for breaking test. I will work on it when I am free again.

謝謝   alan lee.

anything