Author Topic: Ashley's 2218 globe knot  (Read 9507 times)

Calire3

Ashley's 2218 globe knot
« on: April 24, 2013, 09:47:26 PM »
Hi  - Help please! I have tied the first pass for Ashley's 2218 globe knot but cannot work out how to do further passes to double or treble it. No matter what routes I have tried I can't get all the knot doubled, even using both ends. There is always some section missed out. Does this mean I have tied it wrong? Or could someone please help by telling me what initial starting routes to use using Ashley's numbering sequence.

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
Re: Ashley's 2218 globe knot
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:14:06 PM »
Hello Calire3,

You have not done anything wrong, 2218, and also 2219, 2220, and 2223 are not a true Turks Head because the end does not terminate at the begining of the knot.  A true globe knot, one you can double, is more like 2216 and 2217 where the working end terminates at the same location that the standing end enters the knot.

If you would like to tie large globe knots, there is the Globe Knot Cookbook.  Also, I have posted a few grids at the Knot Heads website (knww.net/Tutorials/Tutorials by Patrick Ducey) for globe knots.  The grids are pretty easy to print and all will be capable of doubling the plies.

Good Luck!

Pat Ducey

Calire3

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 09:59:41 AM »
Hi Pat - thanks for the reply. I have managed to work out whaere I was going wrong - the lead going in (no.1) was in the wrong place! Once I re-placed it I managed to double/treble it using both ends and it now covers a golf ball very well. Thanks for your comments. I am interested in the Cook Book but being in the UK it is rather expensive with shipping etc and even worse with the tax added if I can't get it sent as a gift! Including the references you gave me and other sources on the web I think there is enough to keep me going for a while exploring Turk's Heads/globe knots etc. I am going on to #2219 next and have a tube prepared for a more complex Turk's Head :D

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 01:10:41 PM »
Hi Calire3

If you decide to order the cook book ask Don Burrhus (www.knottool.com) if he will send the book separately from the tools. There is no VAT on the book and if the tools are charged at ?15 or less then there is no VAT to pay on them either. Postage may be a little more but the saving in VAT and the post office handling fee (?8!) is worth it. Even splitting the tools into 2 packages to keep the value below ?15 is probably worth it. If you want to know more send me an email or PM by all means, I would definitely recommend the cook book (and the turk's head versions)

Barry

Calire3

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 09:25:14 PM »
Thanks for this extra information Barry. I will certainly bear it in mind and if what you suggest is possible then it would save giving extra money to the tax-man. The last thing we ordered from abroad was taxed more than I thought it would be, as the cost of the shipping was also included in the tax fee! It's not long until my birthday so I may get the Cook Book then. Thanks again for your advice.

capellagroup

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 09:13:46 AM »
Gooday Calire3,
I bought the Cookbooks kits (both of them) from Don Burrhus, as a bare novice.  Cost a heap to get them to Oz, but the best dollars I ever spent in terms of getting me into tying large and small THKs and Globes.  I am now confident enough to use other people's systems as well, but the cookbooks (and the tools) are still a constant and fabulous refence, 3 years later.  I firmly believe they are worth the effort, especially if you can (legally, of course) diddle the Chancellor!

John Bennett

anything