Author Topic: Figure out an easy TIB tying method for Scott s locked TIB bowline  (Read 35647 times)

alanleeknots

Re: Figure out an easy TIB tying method for Scott s locked TIB bowline
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2013, 02:06:17 AM »
 Hi All,
         I have a variation of Scott s locked TIB bowline here, not that much different then Xarax had presented at page 1, But     this one can be tie in one continuos motion.  when I free again, I will make a video for it.

謝謝   alan lee

alanleeknots

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2013, 12:58:10 AM »
Hi All,
        I have another variation of Scott s locked TIB bowline, I think I stuck with words "knots that are so inferior to their classmates",so I didn't included it in the last post, and I look at it again, this loop is more than good enough for genaral use and also can be tie in one continuos motion. I guess why not?

謝謝   alan lee

Luca

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 01:24:57 AM »
Hi,

Some time ago, using a method that begins in the same way as the method proposed by me for  the Scott's locked variation in this thread,I obtained this other variation, which, in waiting for the new video by Alan Lee, I add "to the collection" (I  have some doubt on the behavior of  the nipping turn if the collar is not tight:some thought about it?),as soon as I can, I will attach some diagrams for the method.

Bye!

alanleeknots

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2013, 07:48:24 AM »
Hi Luca and All,

I see your loop is right hand version,  a quick repond to your, I have this right hand version.
                      Just wonder if  this one have little more secure then yosemite bowline.

謝謝   alan lee

P/S   I am working out towm at the moment, may be few more weeks than I can go home to do the video.

" Sorry, forget to mention this is not a TIB bowline."
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:48:00 AM by eric22 »

Luca

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2013, 10:17:16 PM »
Hi Alan,

The Bowline you show above would seem to be the real righthanded version of Scott's locked TIB,it is a pity that it is not TIB.I like it, I do not know if it is better than the Yosemite:perhaps;I remember that here somewhere Dan Lehman defined the Yosemite as"infamous", if I remember correctly, I do not know if it is due to the fact that it tends to lead itself to some errors of dressing as shown in the "An Analysis of Bowlines" paper( http://www.paci.com.au/knots.php ) by agent_smith.
However, I add to the collection also another righthanded variation of the Scott's locked, similar to those that you show above and at reply #46(I think that all three are better than what I have shown at reply #47),but so far I have not developed a TIB method for this!(today prevailed force of habit, so I'll show by the traditional view)

Bye!

alanleeknots

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »
Hi All,

Eventually have a week off, and got the videos done. hope you like it.

謝謝   alan lee       alanleeknots at youtube.

xarax

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2013, 01:24:21 PM »

Version 2 [TIB version] starts its life as a bowline with the tail outside and so we are not truly Cow to Cow.

Luca (1) has shown that the Scot s TIB locked bowline can be tied in a left- as well as a right-handed version, so the argument above does not apply. Both cows are cows, and their tails tell the same thing (2)(3). 
1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4517.msg29939#msg29939
2. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/pets/10418004/How-your-dogs-wagging-tail-can-reveal-its-emotions.html
3. http://www.cell.com/current-biology/retrieve/pii/S0960982213011433
This is not a knot.

Festy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2013, 09:05:41 PM »
Hi All,

Eric, is it necessary to lock the Water Bowline?

Thanks,
F

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2013, 11:32:48 PM »
Hi All,

Nice work Alan!
Thank you for sharing.

SS

xarax

The two forms of Scott s locked TIB bowline.
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2013, 02:47:38 PM »
   To my view, the "right hand" form ( at the right of the attached pictures ) seems preferable, because the ( continuation of the ) tail is further squeezed in between the Standing part s first curve and the returning eye leg.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 03:11:32 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2013, 03:17:43 PM »
In another view: One reactionary difference I see with this workable variation is that when using stiff static (some dynamic as well) rope, the nipping part has a tendency to open and loosen under no or light loading.
Not so with the original (left side) and it is one step simpler as well.

SS
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 01:20:01 AM by SS369 »

xarax

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2013, 05:45:45 PM »
  You can say that the "left handed" bowline, at the left, is more "simple" than the "right handed", at the right, only in the sense that the path of the line is less convoluted in the former than in the later - it is this 8-shaped part which forms the collar around the rim of the nipping loop that seems to cause the difference you have noticed. However, to see what you mean I had to tie the two knots on the most stiff rope I have, which resist to turn even around three rope diameters ! Otherwise both variations have the same number of tucks, same topology ( "simpler" than the topology of the original, non-TIB version ! ), and are equally easy to remember how to tie as end-of-line locked bowlines. As TIB bowlines, I have no idea which is simpler - I hope that Luca or JP will enlighten us on this...
  The thing I like in those TIB bowlines is that the first curves of the standing parts are very wide. ( I do not know other so simple TIB bowlines where the nipping loop encircles three rope diameters (*) - which, supposedly, would be beneficial to the knot s strength.) So, if we chose them for strength, any tendency to remain "open" = not-compact under no or light loading would not be an important issue.

(*) An interesting single TIB bowline - although a little bulky, due to the two collars around the standing end -  conceptually simple, and with a wide nipping loop ( that encircles four rope diameters ), is the bowline-with-a-bight ( ABoK#1074) where we make the ( reeved-through-the-nipping-loop ) second bight shrink around the first bight.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:38:30 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2013, 01:32:33 AM »
It makes me wonder if indeed a knot of this type is actually stronger (breaking resistance) if the nipping part encircles three diameters versus two.
In my mind I envision more movement of the area under the greatest strain and that will lead to increased friction related damage.
The original premise for the simple standard bowline lock was and is better security. It helped with resisting ring type loading.
If it added strength, all the better.

SS

Festy

• Exp. Member
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2013, 02:50:42 PM »
It makes me wonder if indeed a knot of this type is actually stronger (breaking resistance) if the nipping part encircles three diameters versus two.
In my mind I envision more movement of the area under the greatest strain and that will lead to increased friction related damage.
The original premise for the simple standard bowline lock was and is better security. It helped with resisting ring type loading.
If it added strength, all the better.

SS

What, please, is the 'standard bowline lock', SS?

Thanks,
F

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2013, 03:30:45 PM »
Hi Festy.

I am sorry that I didn't do that better. Here is a link to the thread about a "simple lock for the bowline". http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=19.msg20538#msg20538
I offered a consideration there that I am referring to. A simple lock for the standard bowline.

SS