Author Topic: Double collar bowlines based on the Clove hitch or the Girth hitch.  (Read 15984 times)

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Double collar bowlines based on the Clove hitch or the Girth hitch.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »
Hi SS,

I'm asking you as a newbie because I continue to be a newbie as an experimenter of the behavior of knots: you happened to compare this Bowline with the Braided Bowline ? Which do you prefer?

Bye!

Hi Luca.

I personally prefer the braided bowline as I have presented it in the "composite knot" thread (tail on the outside) because I believe that the standing part is better "guarded" (shedding some forces before the nipping turn) and the braided/interwoven section secures the tail very well, prior to the nipping turn.

The double collar that I showed in this thread has a tendency towards jamming, though that makes it certainly secure enough. It also uses a wee bit more rope.

In my opinion, both are easy enough to tie and remember and both enhance the security of the bowline.

Have you tied these? And if so, what are your thoughts?

SS

Luca

Re: Double collar bowlines based on the Clove hitch or the Girth hitch.
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 12:35:15 AM »
Have you tied these? And if so, what are your thoughts?

First of all thank you for the reply.I've tied, but not tested, at this moment I do not have the opportunity to test usually as I do (these tests are not really serious anyway!).As soon as I can, I will try,and maybe I'll let you know if by chance I'll notice something significant,but I was right curious about the opinion of who offered these two loops, since I consider it an analyzer of the behavior of knots much more competent than I am!