Author Topic: Credit card holder made of cord/small rope?  (Read 3502 times)

kirk

Credit card holder made of cord/small rope?
« on: August 20, 2015, 07:52:46 AM »
I have noticed over the past several years that my wallet was no longer a wallet but just a credit card holder, and would be better replaced by a lean holder which just held credit cards/drivers license in place rather than a bulky leather pouch for lots of stuff I never used.

I switched to using a binder clip for a while, but this wasn't very classy and rubbed on the metallic strips.

I was curious--is there a knot/set of knots that you could propose that would hold credit cards with some small parachord, and allow for taking them out periodically from one end without unbundling the whole thing?

I know this isn't a normal use for knots and rope, just curious what comes to your mind.  Of what I saw in Asley, #2086 seemed perhaps the closest to something that might work.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Credit card holder made of cord/small rope?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 05:39:52 PM »
I have noticed over the past several years that my wallet was no longer a wallet but just a credit card holder, and would be better replaced by a lean holder which just held credit cards/drivers license in place rather than a bulky leather pouch for lots of stuff I never used.

I switched to using a binder clip for a while, but this wasn't very classy and rubbed on the metallic strips.

I was curious--is there a knot/set of knots that you could propose that would hold credit cards with some small parachord, and allow for taking them out periodically from one end without unbundling the whole thing?

I know this isn't a normal use for knots and rope, just curious what comes to your mind.  Of what I saw in Asley, #2086 seemed perhaps the closest to something that might work.
I doubt cord-based solutions are going to be satisfactory.  If you do an internet search for "card wallet", you should find something.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 06:23:16 PM »
Two rubber bands - one lengthwise and one across the middle is the simplest solution I can think of. Cheap too!

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 07:55:09 PM »
Hello kirk and welcome.

You may consider a parcel tie, if that is simple enough for you and tickles your tying impulses.
Check this link > http://www.animatedknots.com/parcel/

Nice piece of decorative cord, a little patience and you can beat a pair of rubber bands. Or wallet.   ;) ;) ;)

Hope this helps.

SS

kirk

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 05:35:18 PM »

Thanks everyone!  The rubber band idea was another method I used for a while but that is no classier really than the binder clip.

I admit in general I'm interested in using cord for some non-traditional uses.  I think nowadays the reality is that you can always go to Amazon and buy something to do what you want that is not a cord, and it often is better/more convenient but what's the fun in that?

Incidentally, ABOK#2086 works pretty well when you put crossing knots at every intersection of the cord on the back.  It holds its shape even when all the cards are taken out (which is rare) and you can slide off the two loops going over the short parts of the cards whenever you need them.

I'll mess around with this some more and update anyone interested.  Thanks again!

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 06:12:30 PM »
Or you could try your hand at making a suitably sized Turks head knot with one end closed. (flattened of course/like a pouch)

SS