Author Topic: Double-Double Bowline  (Read 1686 times)

Mik3e

Double-Double Bowline
« on: May 14, 2018, 02:44:35 AM »
This variation is based on the Double Bowline. Start with double nipping loops. Wrap the working-end around and back through the nipping loops to create the Bowline's main loop. Then wrap the working-end behind the standing part to create the collar, and add a round turn to form the double collar. Then take the working-end back up through the double nipping loops. Last, wrap the working-end over and down through the double collar.

From my kitchen-table testing I'd say this knot is very stable and secure. It will be especially useful with the rope pictured which doesn't like to be tied down or to get tight. And, for those of us familiar with the traditional Bowline, it's easy to tie one on.

There are a number of enhanced Bowlines with a 'Yosemite Finish' and I find this variation to be superior to all of them. First, tying the knot is intuitive, which can be important in high stress situations. Second, there are no 'set this part first' cautions. Third is a matter of confidence, this knot does not look like a wad of cordage and a prayer.

The obvious first question, has a double-double bowline been seen before?

Mike

agent_smith

Re: Double-Double Bowline
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 08:49:42 AM »
There are a number of enhanced Bowlines with a 'Yosemite Finish' and I find this variation to be superior to all of them.

I would disagree with this comment.
Have you experimented with stiffer ropes?
Its also a little fiddly.
If your requirement is strictly a 'yosemite finish' - the EBSB Bowline is superior to this in my opinion. I routinely use the EBSB Bowline as a tie-in knot for rock climbing. I also use Scotts locked Bowline (but doesn't have a 'yosemite finish').

The obvious first question, has a double-double bowline been seen before?
I'm not sure but, there are a few blood hounds on this forum who will no doubt check and confirm.
Although, you could never be absolutely certain because I assume that all we could use as evidence are time/date stamped photos or something 'published'.

This particular structure borrows a little from 'Scotts locked Bowline' and also the 'woven Bowlines'.

Mark G

Dan_Lehman

Re: Double-Double Bowline
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 11:07:48 PM »
Have you experimented with stiffer ropes?
Here, I think --absent rope-in-hand-- that having the
tail emerge on penultimate tuck (towards eye, thus)
and then go around the returning eye leg should offer
a slightly broader (2 vs. 1 dia.) turn, helpful for rope
that resists (strongly!) making a 1dia. bend.  (Or,
to put it another way, those 2 diameters will fill
the space a stiff rope is likely to otherwise leave.)

Hmmm, the collar turns might tighten more than
one will be happy about --YMMV per material & force
(and tendency to be grumpy).

Tying this is not quick/simple, but there are times
when this counts merely as an inconvenience,
with the sure security a redeeming feature.

--dl*
====