Author Topic: Alternative to the Taut-line Hitch?  (Read 3943 times)

brifoz

Alternative to the Taut-line Hitch?
« on: December 21, 2018, 09:15:09 PM »
The knot shown here functions in a similar way to the various versions of the Taut-line Hitch. It is based on Ashley's number 1470 (a knot which deserves to be more widely known), but with an extra turn.

I don't think it has been widely used, but maybe someone here knows better.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Alternative to the Taut-line Hitch?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 09:54:04 PM »
You may be interested in this:

https://notableknotindex.webs.com/blakeshitch.html

The reference to ABOK #1470 brought it to mind.  Detail view of #1470 on left below.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:09:39 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

brifoz

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 11:44:19 PM »
Thanks for that! I have ABOK and I was aware of Blake's Hitch, but hadn't made (or had forgotten) the connection. This particular article is new to me in so far as it refers to reducing turns for less critical purposes, thus potentially reducing it to the 1470.

I use the 1470 in its basic form (reversed compared to the images here) with a loop for a simple jamming hitch, which is a good substitute for an elastic band or a cable-tie. It is extremely simple to tie and works well.

I haven't come up with any sources so far showing its use to form either a taut-line type or jamming hitch. As a taut-line it is in my experience less likely to spill if not perfectly set out and tightened than one or two of the regular ones.

breadwild

• Designer/developer by day knot tyer by night
    • Business
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjustable_grip_hitch

is another alternative. no ABOK number but a little neater than the tautline
-----
Brad
breadwild@gmail.com

Trakl

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 09:32:07 PM »
Hello Brifoz,

I'm glad you asked this question concerning the taut-line hitch as I have been a bit confused concerning the difference between it, on the one hand, and the Midshipman's hitch on the other. In order to clear up the terminology using ABOK, one should refer to the taut-line hitch as a basic rolling hitch (#1730).  Ashley refers to a specific version of the Midshipman's hitch in his #1729 version, which is also illustrated and mentioned under a version 2 of the Rolling hitch (#1735) where the knot is tied directly to an object. If anyone else has more clarity on this subject, feel free to set me straight.

This second version (#1729) tends to be much more secure, but can be more difficult to slide if it is pulled extremely tightly.  It is the first knot that is shown how to be tied under #1855 on the following page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taut-line_hitch 

The second knot I would like to mention, in addition to the two knots suggested by other members (which are exceptional slide-and-grip knots as well, I'd like to add!) is the Modified Tarbuck Knot.  I couldn't find any drawings or videos for this knot, so I have attempted a poor rendition in my own hand (which I will attempt to attach to this reply).  I have started a thread above concerning the uses of this knot in regards to its predecessor, the Tarbuck knot, which had the tendency to strip the outer sheath of kernmantle-style ropes.  It had originally been devised by Ken Tarbuck to deal with post-war nylon climbing ropes by slipping to absorb sudden loads, such as a rock climber's fall.  The modified version was created by the Canadian climber and knot savant Robert Chisnall.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:16:00 PM by Trakl »

anything