General > Practical Knots

Crossing knot, a foundamental knotting tool to build jam-proof knots

(1/15) > >>

Kost_Greg:
A jam-proof form of adjustable clove

Most of us are familiar with the clove based structure of first image and its vulnerability to jamming under hard strain, a component that strangles whatever passes through it, which also renders the adjustability feature rather problematic.

The cure to this unwanted behaviour of clove is the crossing knot, or in other words , adding a collar around the SPart, which means an additional twist at the SP continuation when forming the clove structure.

This extra little twist, induces a huge positive effect on the jamming profile of the knot, even with loadings that reach the MBS yield point.

Crossing knots as stand alone knotting elements, are vulnerable to distortion at heavy loadings, but in this case, the on going clove turn, acts supportively and enhances the overall stability.

Sceptics are promted to perform a simple stress test in order to determine the practicality of this knot.

Kost_Greg:
Clove structure, as a cluster of crossing knots-the Scarab loopknot

Similarly, if i was to stress the first image clove structure, which is a conventional clove form, loop hitched in carrick fashion, i would probably need a tool to decompress it, for loadings a bit more than the average level.

Well, it appears that this clove geometry, as a nipping component, is a killer, in terms of jam resistance, unless it takes the form of the second image structure.

Just imagine a round turn formation, where the two loops of same chirality, are replaced with a pair of crossing knots, also of same state/chirality.

Using the same Carrick stabilizator (loop) as previously, and the Scarab loopknot, with this small geometrical modification, obtains the desired pliability that was missing from the fist Carrick clove structure.

alanleeknots:

Good idea, I like it !     :)

Kost_Greg:
Thanks Alan, you know that i'm really keen on building jam-proof knots, and i tend to believe, based on my tests of course, that every single knot posted (or going to be posted) in this thread, does not appear to develop any blocking issues, in full loading scope.

I'm of the view, that we have to redefine the basic knotting components, closed form (knotted,e.g. figure eight), or open form (unknotted, e.g. clove), using crossing knots, in order to build non prone to jamming structures, that can be included in the practical zone.

I have to point out that i'm using "weighed" (or is it weighted? :-\) crossing knots, meaning that the prime crossing knot which is a direct SP continuation, is supported by additional, on-going nipping turns, or crossing knots, in clove or munter configuration, to enhance stability.

Kost_Greg:
I really like the water bowline which has the tendency to maintain its pliability under hard strain.

However, in my view, it appears that there is a downside, concerning the coherence of the two half hitches and the solidity of the water bowline core nub.

As shown at the top of first image, the opposing loading forces, develop a slack between the two clove half hitches, that is proportional to the loading magnitude, therefore, the knot, ΙΜΟ, falls short on nub firmness, compactness and stability.

A smartly thinking person, would probably suggest the swapping of the two half hitches, in order to change the direction of loading forces, which now generate an attraction between the nipping turns, forging a more solid core nub.

This is accomplished by threading WE through the other side of the nipping structure (through the SP turn first), forming the clove hitch bowline, shown at the bottom of first image.

Given that the clove hitch bowline is vulnerable to jamming, how do i get to intergrate the pliability of the first with the stability of the second knot, in one single structure?

The answer is the use of crossing knots, but in a clove orientation (not water-like), in order to keep them tight fitting one other.

I have used before, this equivalent to clove, second image, symmetrical nipping structure, with two opposing state crossing knots (i would use the term "complement" to one other, not mirror).

The crossing knot collars of the resulting crossing knot based, clove bowline, function as SP restrainers, or tension smoothers, maintaining nub pliability and stability.

Let me bring to mind that the complexity of this bowline structure does not exceed topologically, those of round turn, water, clove bowlines, it is just a geometrically different, yet jam-proof and stable profile.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version