Author Topic: A new knot?  (Read 23884 times)

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
Re: A new knot?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 06:36:29 AM »
Sorry to hear about your accident Tom. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Turks Head 54

Try going to this website

http://www.geocities.com/testube44/TheKnotTyerofBannerCreek.html?1191695133031

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 01:32:41 PM »
Dan, you are my most revered knot deity! And may I thank you personally for your personal messages of goodwill (even if one of them encouraged my staying longer in hospital - two months was plenty, thanks, even with a length of cord at hand!). It really did buoy my spirits to have a Known Name of the Knot Pantheon stoop to offer succour while the doctors prodded me to a very low ebb. Thank you.
Yesterday I was hoping to add the offer of a glimpse of my leg apparatus to the Guild, but I pressed the tab key (I think) and it whisked my missive away too soon (will that always happen? This is the first time I have ever been to a chatroom!). I'll not post it unless requested because it might be upsetting to the squeemish, but if anyone would like a look at a rather elaborate Taylor Spatial Frame in action, I would be happy to provide a pic. It derives from flight simulator technology, I'm told, and - in a knotting context - has replaced some of the old ropes, weights, winches and tackle of a traction frame, as well as supporting the legbones like a plastercast, though the bones can still be manipulated within by means of the calibrated struts.
I'll try this PM thing now...
Cheers all!

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 02:20:19 AM »
yech.

Those pictures of your wound sound
nasty. I split my head open a little
while ago and got 11 stiches. The stiches are
all out and i have a scar.

TH54

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 07:02:03 PM »
Ow. I hope nothing fell out before they got the stiches in. Is the Banner Creek site your own? A fine wee thing if so. You illustrate a very different 'Midshipman's hitch' in the sea scout manual from the one I mentioned - more like a sheet bend but tied to a hook. Mine is a slide-and-lock affair, and ever so useful (can't be sure, and have no books here to check, but I think I'm using Geoffrrey Budworth's nomenclature). Thanks to you (and, again, to all in this strange ethereal knot world) for you kind good wishes at what has been, quite frankly, a horrible time.

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 08:25:13 PM »
That seamanship manual I did not make. Yes that is my
webpage.

th54

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 05:27:26 AM »
I will be adding more to my webpage when I get the time.

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 12:41:36 PM »
Go for it, TH!
And to you all: I still can't get this PMail thing to work - this clever machine tells me that I am not allowed to send messages. Is that to do with Guild subscription, perhaps? I have sent it off - honest! - but we have been mired in a postal strike. And how would I know the addresses of those with whom I wanted to exchange PM? (This probably isn't the place for tech questions of this nature - please tell me 'where to go' if I am annoying you!). Now let's see if I can put one of these jolly faces on...    8)   There we go.

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 08:34:36 PM »
You can only send messages after you have made a certain number of posts in this forum.
You can find an explanation here, contact Mel or Lesley with questions about it:
http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=687.0

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

KnotTom

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2007, 02:15:55 PM »
Hi all,

I think I managed to send a PM to Dan/knudenoggin/+1other - with Tom's snailmail address last week.  Let me know if no-one's got anything from me.  TH 54 I saw your website and looked up the Matthew Walker knot as I have a friend by the same name.  Apparently it is the only knot named after a person - is that true (if we don't include Tom's Knot)?

Thanks to all, Emma

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 02:49:00 AM »
Hi Tom

Take a look at this webpage I think you will enjoy it.

TH54

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 03:11:09 AM »
Sorry i forgot the webpage.

http://www.geocities.com/testube44/TheKnotTyerofBannerCreek.html?1191695133031
then click on photos.

TH54

Znex

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2007, 04:18:49 PM »

I hate to burst your bubble again Tom... Looking through The Ashley Book of Knots the other day, I stumbled upon the knot you described earlier listed in ABOK as #1063. Ashley did not give it a name. Although I think the way you showed how to tie it is much easier to remember.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 05:13:28 PM »
Good eye, Znex!!   :)

Yes, that knot, loaded on ends in opposition to each other, with the eye cut,
is it.  (Like finding Shakehands in a not-quite-exact loopknot.)

--dl*
====

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2007, 05:31:52 PM »
Kick a lad when he's down, why don't you! You could at least pretend that it is my own until I am better! Do I see a glimmer of hope in the qualifications - 'loaded on ends in opposition to each other, with the eye cut'? If not, I am never going to be able to live down the shame, crawling round (literally) to confess that Tomknot is not Tom's knot. Might we consider it a variation on a theme? Please! I regret to say that I can't get at my ABOK (salty with sea spray, and pickled in pipe smoke - just the way I bought it!) - it will be a long time before I can climb the stairs to my own front door - can anyone send me a picture (if it's not too much trouble), so I can see how bad the damage is?
x

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2007, 06:35:56 PM »
Do I see a glimmer of hope in the qualifications - 'loaded on ends in opposition to each other, with the eye cut'?
Oh, yes, to be sure.  Indeed, as one ponders the depths of "What is a knot?!",
one might discern distinctions of even finer difference!  (E.g., Ashley certainly shows
a Crossing knot; but he hardly presents that structure as useful in belaying climbers
as a, quite dynamic, load limiter!  He et al. also present the Groundline H., but hardly
as tied essentially in reverse as a (what I introduce as a sub-class) seizing hitch
--though one can sort of find it (MIS-drawn, alas) under that very name in ABOK.)

Although that "kick a man ..." could be taken as amical motivation to keep looking
into the knot universe for more ... .

it will be a long time before I can climb the stairs to my own front door - can anyone send me a picture
(if it's not too much trouble), so I can see how bad the damage is?
x

!?  Is there nOne available to do fetching service of such things for you?
What of snailmail?  Those who might care to send along, um, recuperation therapeutic knotty items
to you can put things into an envelope, appropriately addressed?  (I do have your address via
KnotTom; and, btw, your PMing should be okay now.)

:)

anything