Author Topic: A new knot?  (Read 23837 times)

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
Re: A new knot?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2007, 08:04:07 PM »
Kick a lad when he's down, why don't you! You could at least pretend that it is my own until I am better! Do I see a glimmer of hope in the qualifications - 'loaded on ends in opposition to each other, with the eye cut'? If not, I am never going to be able to live down the shame, crawling round (literally) to confess that Tomknot is not Tom's knot. Might we consider it a variation on a theme? Please! I regret to say that I can't get at my ABOK (salty with sea spray, and pickled in pipe smoke - just the way I bought it!) - it will be a long time before I can climb the stairs to my own front door - can anyone send me a picture (if it's not too much trouble), so I can see how bad the damage is?
x

Extracted from Ashley Book of Knots p192

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2007, 05:02:40 PM »
Ach! Pressed the wrong button again (I have to twist to get anywhere near the keyboard!). What I was trying to say was: Fellows! How honoured I feel to have been elevated to 'Trusted New Poster' from the rather galling 'Newbie'. I'ld be delighted to receive any snailmail that any of you thought appropriate (or therapeutic) - but, as I say, the Lady may be able to bring me a few titbits (US: tidbits - why?) before too long, so while I am no longer desperate, I remain intrigued as to what you all might send to an ailing knotsman. So I shall throw caution to the wind and upload my Recuperation address (because I still don't seem to have the measure of PM) 1 Turner Drive London NW11 6TX, and you can make up any name you like - will that foil the spammers?
x

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2007, 06:23:16 PM »
It seems that what I had written before that got lost, so please insert the following before 'Ach!':

Thank you, Derek, for the picture - my heart is glad! It seems to me that though the crux configuration is the same we are looking definitely at two knots here - Ashley's loop and Tom's Bend? The necessity of cutting and placement on the bight make them as different as the bowline and the sheet bend (two of your Surrey Six, I think, so they must be distinct in the eyes of the Guild, despite identical configuration).
And thank you Dan, as ever, for your sympathetic precision ('nice' is what Shakespeare would have called it, but the word has veered away in meaning). I am going to need a bit of help getting back onto your shoulders. My dear Lady hopes to get to the flat later in the week but ABOK is too hefty a tome for such a slender one as she to lug across town, and she is, for some reason, unwilling to get on the bike (ever again).
And thank you Znex for your attention - this glorious Guild really does seem to care!

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2007, 07:56:13 PM »
Tom,

I don't know what medication you are on, but it seems to be pretty good stuff.  Care to pass on the secret?  I'm sure we could all do with some. ;D

Derek

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2007, 02:32:42 PM »
My recipe is a tasty brew of morphine sulphate, gabapentin, paracetemol (which, apparently, acts as a catalyst), and as a nod to the New Age, glucosamine and vitamin E. I am also to rub my foot (or, rather, to get Nursey to rub my foot since I can't get there!) with capsaicin - the active ingredient in chilli peppers, and very much where-it's-at in analgesics these days. It has stained the poor limb a handsome honey gold, which puts its pasty companion to shame. The whole lot has to be doused in blue disinfectant to keep clean the dozen skewers on which hang my bones, and I also bombard the shattered areas with ultrasound to egg them on to regrowth - this comes in a plastic box. (Noone has yet taken me up on the offer of photos!)
All the above are readily available from your local pharmacist, but you may have to take a mask and shotgun if you don't have a prescription.
Happy hunting!
x

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2007, 02:53:45 PM »
Hmm,

I had forgotten about the shattered limb bit -- methinks perhaps I will just stick to tea, coffee, beer and 18g of ascorbic acid a day to keep my spirits up.

Still, I suppose knotting as a hobby is conducive to the enforced immobility, but I certainly do not envy you.

I hope your progress is rapid -  keep up with the ultrasound and any other mischief that gets your heart pumping.

Derek

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2007, 01:38:57 AM »
All Right lets see some pictures I'll probably regret this though.

TH54

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2007, 05:05:31 PM »
I may have done this three times - bear with me or blame the morphine - but what I was trying to say was:
'Well, I just tried, and was told by the machine that my avatar was not writable - if the picture ever materialises (or should that be dematerialises in this ethereal context, avatars notwithstanding?) it has, at least, some cord on show to keep this thread vaguely knot-related...'
and then attach a picture. Let's see what happens this time...
Oh, and TH! How exciting to see my knot on your site!

Hmmm this really doesn't seem to be working for me - I can't upload the picture even though it is tiny. Any suggestions? I'll try without the pic...

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2007, 07:14:37 PM »
one more go...

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2007, 11:05:32 AM »
Well, Mel seems to have fixed the image posting problem, and well done for getting your first image up on the forum.

Just one criticism - that image really needed a Public Health warning before viewing - I nearly lost my Wheatybangs over the keyboard.

Jeez, how much longer will you be in that condition?  I thought that bones mended in a matter of a few weeks, so what have you got inside there?  Bonemeal??

Keep your resolve strong and your mind active and keep chasing the nurses (don't worry, you won't catch them unless they want you to!!).  Another interesting pastime I found was Consultant baiting.  Ask to use the hospital library to read up on your condition and watch the apoplexy when they think you are questioning their expertise - it's fun, but they will get their own back eventually so take that one easy.

Are you allowed to walk yet?  Never being in bed when they want to prod you and talk about you is another wonderful way of brightening the day on the pretext of 'exercising hard to get better soon'.

Remember, if your spirits are high your body will follow, so work on maintaining a happy and positive attitude and while you are stuck with the scaffold - have fun.

Derek

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2007, 09:25:33 PM »
Funnily enough, I have been enjoying all of those suggested delights today: I was wheeled out as a model (to be pronounced 'muddoo', I believe, if I want to make a career of it) at a day-long Taylor Spatial Frame seminar, where the gathered professionals wanted to see one in the flesh before being let lose on plastic shinbones with amazing canulated drills. I had a go at building one myself, and it was great fun until I began to imagine how the same foot-long steel pins had been driven through my own non-plastic example. The reps from the manufacturer gave me one of the titanium rings to take home (which I am very pleased with!) for publicising their wares with such apparent glee - my contraption is the most elaborate even they have seen, which makes me feel super special.
In answer to your technical questions, it is indeed mostly bonemeal within (the consultant described her original findings under my kneecap as beeing 'like a crumbled digestive biscuit'), and get to keep the metalwork for a year for now, with the possibility of further bone-graft ops after that! Ho hum. Keeping spirits high not too much of a problem, though, with a piece of string in my hand, and a jolly forum on my screen!

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2007, 05:35:19 AM »
Ouch!  :'( I hope I don't wind up like that!

Get well very soon. ;D

TH54

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2007, 09:22:32 AM »
You're in the scafolding for a YEAR :o!!!???!!

Sheesh. I'd go insane!! 

TH54

Tom

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2007, 01:50:01 PM »
Have done
 :P

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2007, 02:53:18 PM »
Insane is OK.

Just remember to take the constrictor off before the 'bits' go blue.