Author Topic: Fancywork supplies: recommendations?  (Read 71361 times)

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
Re: Fancywork suplies: recommendations?
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 03:14:31 AM »
Thanks, I'll check it. I am really looking forward to it arriving. How many pages are in the index? Maybe someone could scan the missing pages. If mine is complete I could try, I'm no whiz around the pc but I can scan pages if I knew which ones are missing.

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2008, 04:46:45 AM »
Index is complete in the '65 edition! WhooHoo! This is one awesome collection!!!
Vince, thanks again so much for the heads up!

Any chance of someone making this thread a sticky (second request for a sticky). I still come back and reread it a lot and I'm sure any new member would appreciate it as well! Great job Vince and all the others who contributed! 8)

Lasse_C

• The price of skill is neverending practice
    • Photo galleries (Text in Swedish)
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 09:06:57 AM »
Any chance of someone making this thread a sticky (second request for a sticky). I still come back and reread it a lot and I'm sure any new member would appreciate it as well!
I vote in favor of that suggestion!
Finding good, reliable suppliers of high-quality materials is an important issue for many of us - especially, I might add, for those of us who (like me) do not live in a big city.

Lasse C

Shamr0ck

• Trusted New Poster
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2008, 12:27:02 PM »
Hello all ~

I, too, am a newbie and have found "Cross Lace Cord" by Jimalax to be a reasonable cord to use.  It comes in a wide variety of colors.  Has stood up well for the key fobs and THs I've made, retains its color over time and is reasonably priced.  Service was fast and accurate, they were  more than happy to send along samples of the three sizes carried and if you order is above $100US, then shipping is free.

http://Http://www.jimalax.com

I got tired of trying to locate reasonably priced (and best size) accessory cord at my local climbing/outdoor store, paracord had too much slop and play in it for what I was working on and when you purchase 100 yd spools, it takes a while to run out (which is very frustrating when it happens at 2am)

I measured the diameter of the cord for Don B this past summer and will dig out that post tonight and post here.

The only "issue" i'd note with my batch of the JimaLax cord is that there are minor differences in OD depending on color (Black and White are just a tad larger), the yellow color will come off on your hands as you work, but no issue staining clothing, and some colors are a bit "stiffer" than the others.

Hope this helps ~

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2009, 06:28:43 AM »

Can anyone make this a sticky please. I keep coming back to it for reference for myself as well as when new knot tiers are always asking this question I give them this link. It was almost down to the bottom of the page where it would go to the next page, making it even harder to find.

Frayed Knot Arts

• Knot too smart at times....
    • Frayed Knot Arts
Re: Fancywork supplies: recommendations?
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2009, 04:23:23 AM »
Hey, Modrators!  THANK YOU for the "sticky"!

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2009, 05:57:07 AM »
Hey, Modrators!  THANK YOU for the "sticky"!
Hey, Vince!  THANK YOU for the "thread"!

aknotter

• Exp. Member
  • Member IGKT-PAB since 2000
    • Pacific Americas Branch of the IGKT
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2009, 01:12:47 AM »
http://cordsandropes.com/index.html
One of the PAB members had some of this at our last meeting. It looks to be some pretty nice stuff. I think I am going to ask for samples of their cords. I'll post here if they will accomodate me.
They are located in the UK, so shipping costs might be an issue for those of us on this side of the pond? I did not search this topic to see if that site has already been mentioned, so if it has, just chalk it up to a "senior" moment.
Jimmy R Williams - IGKTPAB Secretary/Treasurer
Site: IGKTPAB.ORG Email: IGKTPAB@GMAIL.COM
Event Pix: PICASAWEB.GOOGLE.COM/IGKTPAB

Knotical

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2009, 08:41:56 AM »
Hello all,

I've been using "Wellington Medium Load Braided Synthetic Venetian Blind Cord" from the Tru-Value Hardware store for a little while and I really like it.  It's sold in hanks and according to the package it's 9/64" x 48' (3.6mm x 14.63m).  I paid $3.79 per hank the last time (about 7.9? per foot).  It's a smooth braid (not like diamond braid) and fairly stiff so it holds a shape well. 

Here's an example:

In the tiniest print I've seen in quite a while I see that it is a product of the Lehigh Group [http://www.lehighgroup.com] but don't bother going there - it's an awful website.  This product is not listed there and what you can find there, well, you can't really tell exactly what you find there.

Does anyone have a better source for this cord than my local Tru-Value Hardware store?  I would prefer to buy a spool of this stuff because the hanks are so tightly wrapped that they cause disfigurements in the cord.
Regards,
Knotical

Son of Liberty

• --Son of Liberty
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2009, 05:58:25 PM »
I use paracord a lot, and http://www.lapolicegear.com/trpa100fole.html has good stuff at low prices.  They don't have much of a selection, but if you want military colors, they're good to go.
All men die.  Few men really live.
--Brave Heart

Knotical

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2009, 03:38:29 PM »
I use paracord a lot, and http://www.lapolicegear.com/trpa100fole.html has good stuff at low prices.  They don't have much of a selection, but if you want military colors, they're good to go.

$4.99 per 100' is a good (closeout) price and the shipping is not unreasonable but with only 6 (military) colors to choose from it's probably not a one stop shop for many folks.  They also have 300' for $14.99 in 5 colors (no white) and 1000' for $38.99-41.99 in 5 colors (again, no white).

I have been doing a lot of searching myself lately and I just found Vermont's Barre Army Navy website (have not ordered from them yet). Looks like both good prices ($6.50/100') and good selection (34 colors) of 450 and 550 cord.  They have lengths in 50', 100', 250', 500', 1000', 1200' although the 550 has fewer available colors - especially in longer lengths.  They also have a Parachute Cord Multi Pack -100' which is 100' of all 34 colors for $167.95.  That works out to about $4.94/100' (before shipping).

If anyone knows a better source, please let me know.
Regards,
Knotical

aknotter

• Exp. Member
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2009, 04:22:32 PM »
ubraidit.com has a lot of paracord colors, including fluorescent. One note about using paracord. . . it should be "pre-shrunk" before using it in fancy work. I once made a turk's head hat band for a friend out of paracord and within 3 months, it crushed his hat! Now I cut lengths, put them in a nylon mesh bag and run them through a wash and dry with a load of laundry.

Knotical

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2009, 06:15:24 PM »
ubraidit.com has a lot of paracord colors, including fluorescent. One note about using paracord. . . it should be "pre-shrunk" before using it in fancy work. I once made a turk's head hat band for a friend out of paracord and within 3 months, it crushed his hat! Now I cut lengths, put them in a nylon mesh bag and run them through a wash and dry with a load of laundry.

:o  :o  :o
I've never heard that before.  Why would nylon shrink if not pre-washed?
Regards,
Knotical

aknotter

• Exp. Member
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2009, 05:02:23 PM »
Read further on Ubraidit's page. It states that if the paracord has been "gutted", shrinkage is not a problem. So it must be the core threads that shrink. And that would lead one to assume they are not nylon.

Knotical

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2009, 10:57:33 PM »
Read further on Ubraidit's page. It states that if the paracord has been "gutted", shrinkage is not a problem. So it must be the core threads that shrink. And that would lead one to assume they are not nylon.

Agreed.  I'm thinking Rayon or some other semi-synthetic.  It feels like a synthetic fiber but if it shrinks then it definitely ain't nylon.  BTW, I wet down something with gutted paracord and there was no change at all.
Regards,
Knotical

anything